• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

high vitamin b-12

xrayspex

the couple times doctor tested my internal vitamin b-12 it showed I was excessively high--even though I don't supplement with it.

does anyone else have high b-12 and if so have you researched what it means? I have googled it but seemed unlikely I would have polycythemia vera....although my liver could be under stress. Just wondering if anyone got any use of having that info and changed something in their treatment or habits to accommodate.

nanonug

xrayspex

@Eastman thanks that is an interesting article--you reminded me of this other article--I have had 2 high tests in the last 10 years--I forget right now the numbers but I think closer to 2k than 1k--so I don't think it was lab error and I wasnt supplementing with it
I also have fatty liver and an auto-immune so I suppose that could tie in

but anyway there is a step guideline similar idea eastman as on your article
I had found this article a couple years ago when I had the blood test again but my doctor wouldnt follow up with any other tests, said it was too fancy for mainstream medicine to do that, insurance companies and her management not into that

bizarrely I had forgotten I had found that article and asked my doctor for follow up......too many things on my mind...dementia lurks

http://www.b12-vitamin.com/blood-levels/

xrayspex

xrayspex

Appears to be a common finding in the presence of thiamine deficiency. A trial of fursultiamine (aka, thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide or TTFD) may be something you might want to consider. Fursultiamine is found in these supplements:
hey Nanonug---I was getting ready to order this but was wondering if just using B -1 by itself is ok? I do not have an easy track record with chemicals so when i try a supplement I prefer to do one vitamin or herb etc at a time instead of mixed so i can assess and know what is doing what effect to me.

I looked on amazon at few reviews for allthiamin and lipothiamin and someone said B -1 by itself gave them night time problems like insomnia or nightmares but that the mix was calming to them. Is there a risk of nervous system stimulation B alone?

nanonug

I was getting ready to order this but was wondering if just using B -1 by itself is ok?

In the short run, I don't think it will be a problem. In the medium/long runs, I believe everyone, should take a decent multivitamin daily.

Is there a risk of nervous system stimulation B alone?

If there is real or functional thiamine deficiency, there's no doubt fursultiamine will be immediately stimulating. How much you will "feel it", I don't know. In my case, it didn't - and still doesn't - cause any jolts to the system. For that, I drink coffee!

xrayspex

In the short run, I don't think it will be a problem. In the medium/long runs, I believe everyone, should take a decent multivitamin daily.

If there is real or functional thiamine deficiency, there's no doubt fursultiamine will be immediately stimulating. How much you will "feel it", I don't know. In my case, it didn't - and still doesn't - cause any jolts to the system. For that, I drink coffee!
lol you are lucky--i miss coffee still---had to give it up by age 29!

also @nanonug what is a mild multi-vitamin you like--is there a powder one?

nanonug

xrayspex

I tried giving up coffee a few times in my life. But it always became immediately obvious to me that life is not worth living without it.

lol yes I would agree with that....yet somehow I go on (the only reason I ever quit anything I love is out of coercion from my body.....like there is no choice...game over if I don't)

I take Multi t/d by Pure Encapsulations. They have a bunch of stuff. I don't know if they offer a powder form.

thankyou! will check it out....I don't tolerate D usually so would be interesting to see how that goes in a multi

ljimbo423

the couple times doctor tested my internal vitamin b-12 it showed I was excessively high--even though I don't supplement with it.

Most b12 tests, test for the inactive forms. If your methylation is poor and in many of us with CFS it is, than you won't be able to convert the inactive form of b12 into it's active form, which is methylcobalamin.

So you could have high b12 levels AND be deficient in methylcobalmin, the most active form of b12.

This is a quote from Dr. Ben Lynch, who is an expert in methylation. You don't have to have a MTHFR mutation to have impaired methylation. Oxidative stress will cause it and CFS causes very high levels of oxidative stress.

Many people with MTHFR test high in their serum folate and B12. My belief is that is because they are not able to convert them to the active forms. Both serum folate and B12 are the Inactive forms. So testing these is useful but not ideal.
http://mthfr.net/mthfr-is-in-my-clinic-twenty-patients-and-twenty-questions/2011/12/12/

Jim

xrayspex

Most b12 tests, test for the inactive forms. If your methylation is poor and in many of us with CFS it is, than you won't be able to convert the inactive form of b12 into it's active form, which is methylcobalamin.

So you could have high b12 levels AND be deficient in methylcobalmin, the most active form of b12.

This is a quote from Dr. Ben Lynch, who is an expert in methylation. You don't have to have a MTHFR mutation to have impaired methylation. Oxidative stress will cause it and CFS causes very high levels of oxidative stress.

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-is-in-my-clinic-twenty-patients-and-twenty-questions/2011/12/12/

Jim
Jim what form do you get it in then that your body can use?

yea 23&me did show I likely have those sort of issues....I havent done a lot about it other than avoid everything that ever consistently makes me feel worse

ljimbo423

Jim what form do you get it in then that your body can use?

yea 23&me did show I likely have those sort of issues....I havent done a lot about it other than avoid everything that ever consistently makes me feel worse

Yes, methylation problems are very common with CFS. I use "Methylcobalamin", which is the active form and is already methylated, so our bodies don't have to methylate it.

One thing to be aware of is that some people are very sensitive to methylcobalamin. It's best to start with a very low dose and see how you feel, then go from there. Sublingual is the best absorbed.

Jim