Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

High sodium

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by xrunner, Feb 24, 2012.

1. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

Surrey
    Since last year my levels of sodium have been higher than normal. At the time I thought it was due diet/supplements but after twelve months of zero salt intake and no processed foods which might contain salt, sodium is still high, particularly intracellular sodium. Not sure what is affecting it as no obvious health problems could explain that. Potassium and other minerals are fine, except low chromium.
    Would anyone know if high sodium could be related to methylation?

2. adreno

adreno PR activist

High aldosterone?

3. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

Surrey
    I don't know. I had to look it up because I wasn't sure what it does. From what I read it should affect other things but my blood pressure is low-normal, potassium is ok, I've got no water retention problems, kidney function is normal. I also have a heamatocrite at the top end of the normal range which I think is also dependent on kidney hormones (not sure). So there may be something there.

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi xrunner, do you mean your serum potassium is OK? Whole body potassium studies have shown that cellular potassium is often low even though serum potassium is normal. Bye, Alex

5. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

Surrey
    Alex,
    They're both normal. Whole blood K is at the top of the range, intracellular K is in mid-range. However, whilst whole blood Na is only slightly elevated, intracellular Na is much too high.
    I just read that cancer cells tend to have high Na for some metabolic reason I don't understand, so more to worry about...

6. Freddd

Freddd Senior Member

Salt Lake City
    Hi Waverunner,

I haven't a clue. Nobody has come up with it before. Good luck.

See more popular forum discussions.