• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High sodium

xrunner

Since last year my levels of sodium have been higher than normal. At the time I thought it was due diet/supplements but after twelve months of zero salt intake and no processed foods which might contain salt, sodium is still high, particularly intracellular sodium. Not sure what is affecting it as no obvious health problems could explain that. Potassium and other minerals are fine, except low chromium.
Would anyone know if high sodium could be related to methylation?

xrunner

I don't know. I had to look it up because I wasn't sure what it does. From what I read it should affect other things but my blood pressure is low-normal, potassium is ok, I've got no water retention problems, kidney function is normal. I also have a heamatocrite at the top end of the normal range which I think is also dependent on kidney hormones (not sure). So there may be something there.

xrunner

Alex,
They're both normal. Whole blood K is at the top of the range, intracellular K is in mid-range. However, whilst whole blood Na is only slightly elevated, intracellular Na is much too high.
I just read that cancer cells tend to have high Na for some metabolic reason I don't understand, so more to worry about...