• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High serum potassium level...

PeterPositive

According to lab results I have elevated serum potassium.
229 mg/l in a range from 144-188mg/l

The other minerals in serum are in range (Na, Mg) so I guess it should be no biggie, right?
Intracellular K also looks fine = 4197 (3350 - 4500).

I don't take any supplemental potassium... I've tried it, but didn't change anything for me. That probably explains why I have never had potassium-related issues when taking high dose folate and B12.

Cheers

barbc56

A repeat test is often needed.

Often, a report of high blood potassium isn't true hyperkalemia. Instead, it may be caused by the rupture of blood cells in the blood sample during or shortly after the blood draw. The ruptured cells leak their potassium into the sample. This falsely raises the amount of potassium in the blood sample, even though the potassium level in your body is actually normal. When this is suspected, a repeat blood sample is done.

The most common cause of genuinely high potassium (hyperkalemia) is related to your kidneys, such as:

1. Acute kidney failure
  2. Chronic kidney disease
Other causes of hyperkalemia include:

1. Addison's disease (adrenal failure)
  2. Alcoholism or heavy drug use that causes rhabdomyolysis, a breakdown of muscle fibers that results in the release of potassium into the bloodstream
  3. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
  4. Angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs)
  5. Destruction of red blood cells due to severe injury or burns
  6. Excessive use of potassium supplements
  7. Type 1 diabetes

Causes shown here are commonly associated with this symptom. Work with your doctor or other health care professional for an accurate diagnosis

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/hyperkalemia/basics/causes/sym-20050776

barbc56

The reason this caught my eye is that I was checked for kidney damage caused by a couple of problematic kidney stones.

I am also being tested for Addisons disease as I have another stone which may be associated. One of the things looked for among others is high potassium levels. Most likely I don't have this but the symptoms are very similar to me/cfs/seids.

Barb

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
A common reason for high K is leakage from red cells when samples take time to be analysed. It might be worse in hot weather. We often used to have to repeat K tests. The main thing to check otherwise is creatinine for renal problems as someone says.

PeterPositive

Btw, I should add, that potassium is elevated only in the serum not in whole blood and intracellular...