• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High serum B6 with tons of fasiculatoion paresthesias

Hello,
I'm more of a lurker but appreciate the accumulated wisdom here.

I have a friend with a very high serum Vit B6, > 100 (Labcorp 5.3-46). His B12 is also high. He was taking a product with B6 50mg and is now off all Vit B6 but is now taking solely P5P.

We are wondering if his 6 year symptoms of fasiculations and paresthesias could be related to his high B6. He has lyme but has had no change in fasiculations ith 6 months of pulsed antibiotics. .

He has C677T/A1298C; +/- COMT V158M, and +/- VDR Taq , CBS C699T +/-, NOS ++

Any way to test intracellular B6 or B12? Any ideas on how to counter B6 toxicity, if this is what it is?

--much appreciated

JES

B6 can cause neuropathy/paresthesias, but typically around a dosage of 200 mg per day. I would say 50 mg is unlikely to be an issue as that's what most B complexes sold contain. Also my understanding is that the neuropathy from B6 is usually fully reversible once you stop supplementing.

I have small fiber neuropathy & paresthesias and they are immune/CFS related. I reckon I once had a very high blood B6 level measured in lab. I don't supplement with B6, so either it means I have some conversion problem or the lab test is inaccurate. Either way, I think the high B6 doesn't mean much.