1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

High sarcosine?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by dbkita, Mar 21, 2013.

1. dbkita

dbkita Senior Member

Just got back a both a serum and urine amino acid profile.

One of the results was very high urine sarcosine 70.3 (0.3-27.3) and high plasma sarcosine 6.3 (0.0-4.0). But my urine and plasma glycine levels are normal. Moreover my plasma methionine levels are 33.6 (0-41). My urine methionine levels were middle of the range more or less (though urine is not considered as useful as plasma for methionine).

As per this reference http://www.metametrixinstitute.org/file.axd?file=2008/12/Page-234.pdf

I am taking 100 mg of b2 a day and my iron levels have been fine (both serum and ferritin) for some time now. So unless there is a depletion of THF the sarcosine to glycine reaction should be open and clear.

But as I said my methionine levels are high normal. Then again my homocysteine is a 10.0.

On the other hand maybe my SAMe / SAH ratio is too high and the Glycine N-methyltransferase enzyme is working over time and trying to drive the equilibrium gradient backwards.

As I said though my glycine levels are heart of the range even despite me supplementing 8-10 grams at bed time. Also I should point out I ingest a lot of protein each day (like 240 grams / day).

So I am not sure what to make of this.

I was also high normal to slightly elevated in BCAAs which would fit my catabolic issues.
    Amino-adipic acid was also high but that may be due to high normal lysine and my taking high amounts of B3 (500 mg early and 250 mg at bedtime). I wonder if a possible high SAM / SAH ratio is the reason why I like the niacinamide?

Anyways let me know your thoughts.

I wonder if it time to get a HDRI methylation panel and find out which side of the 8-ball I am right now. Anyone have any other methylation panels they prefer? I had a NutraEval a couple of years ago which was useful for some things but not particularly for methylation / folate cycle from what I could tell.

Thanks.

2. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
  3. dbkita

dbkita Senior Member

Thanks yeah I saw that. I am having the tests repeated but morning fasting pre methylation support. My doctor agrees based on my other markers that if the sarcosine is normal than this in fact represents a strong shift up in activity of glycine-N-methyltransferase in an attempt to lower my SAMe/SAH ratio. Or the sarcosine remains high and I have a methyl trap going despite taking 5000 mcg of active B12s. So we will. My doctor already agreed to a HDRI test which would be definitive.

4. dbkita

dbkita Senior Member

Ok I guess I will have to untangle this on my own.

5. BFG

BFG

Sacramento, CA
    I recently did the NutrEval test and my results came out with high sarcosine also. My alpha aminoadipic acid was also elevated. My results are here if you wanted to take a look. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nd-2100-gi-effects-results.24206/#post-370714

From what I read so far I think this means a folate deficiency.Have you tested your (FIGlu)Formiminoglutamic Acid ? That is another indication of folate depletion.

I am also taking 5000 mcg of jarrow methyl b12 and only stopped 2 days before the nutreval test. I wonder if this can cause the depleted folate?

6. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

Hi @dbkita

Did you ever come to a conclusion as to what was happening with your glycine and sarcosine? As you may know, Rich Van K thought it was not uncommon for glycine to be low in PWME, but I can't seem to find out why that would be...or at least why it would be lower than cysteine and glutamic acid (which, along with glycine, are necessary to make glutathione). Are you aware of any theories that might explain this?

See more popular forum discussions.