• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Oestradiol result - any thoughts

sianrecovery

I've just had a result back from the endo saying my serum oestradiol is 2640 pmol/L, which is high, and I should see a gynae. I dont have the reference range, but I think the top of it for a 48 yr old female on the 21st day of her cycle would be 1500. I am taking 30 mcg T3 daily, and after a very low salivary test for oestrogen and progesterone and DHEA, taking 25mg of DHEA daily.

Any thoughts on what is the most likely culprit for the raised oestradiol?

thanks in advance for your comments

sian

Ema

I've just had a result back from the endo saying my serum oestradiol is 2640 pmol/L, which is high, and I should see a gynae. I dont have the reference range, but I think the top of it for a 48 yr old female on the 21st day of her cycle would be 1500. I am taking 30 mcg T3 daily, and after a very low salivary test for oestrogen and progesterone and DHEA, taking 25mg of DHEA daily.

Any thoughts on what is the most likely culprit for the raised oestradiol?

thanks in advance for your comments

sian
The range here for luteal phase is 43-211 in pg/mL. This converts to 158-774 in pmol/L. This range is way too wide in my opinion though and typically women seem to report feeling better towards the higher end of the range provided that their progesterone is also in balance.

I would guess that your result is high because the DHEA is all converting to estrogen. This is what happens to me and several other women I know. I get no testosterone out of DHEA which is super frustrating! Just estrogen.

If it were me, I would double check the result and the range and then consider lowering your DHEA dose. Have you measured your DHEA-S in serum lately?

Ema

sianrecovery

Thanks Ema, for that clear and helpful reply. The reference range for serum oestradiol I find in wiki for the luteal phase has 600 as the top figure. The letter says 2640 pmol/L, and the hospital says they have sent it 'without delay' to my primary care doc. Sounds like the DHEA is the culprit. I have only ever had DHEA checked via salivary tests, the last one six months ago had the value in the low range. I shall stop taking it. I am unclear about the effects of T3 on sex hormones - any tips?

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Do you get enough zinc? (And I do not know how much is enough, but I know that allergic rhinitis and colds use it up like wildfire). Zinc is an aromatase inhibitor - it prevents your testosterone from turning into estrogen. I recently had an odd series of labs. Just after allergy season, when my pellet replacement estrogen&testosterone should have been at its highest, my testosterone was low. A few months later, when both hormones should have wound down, the testosterone reading was higher! This was because I had recovered from allergy season (zinc loss) and I always take DHEA so that was able to create, and zinc retain, the testosterone.

I didn't realise that might be the cause of the high estrogen reading until your post - thanks! I am about to go to my doctor and was going to ask for a lowered estrogen dose. But...well...how weird...I prolly do need a lower estrogen dose, but only during allergy season. (I supplemented zinc 75mg/day and it was still not enough so what else can I do? At least at 75mg I can breathe again).

sianrecovery

Thanks for that Triffid - I do have a problem with zinc - and think that might be connected to the KPU/HPU diagnosis I got. That's a good tip. I'll up my supplementation of it.