A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

high mercury, low glutathione, poor detoxer (α-Ketophenylacetic Acid, α-Hydroxyisobutyric Acid)

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by drew, Sep 29, 2015.

1. drew

drew

A recent nutraeval test I revealed the following:

1) mercury is 6 times the upper limit
    2) glutathione is rock bottom
    3) 'Toxin & Detox Markers' α-Ketophenylacetic Acid (from Styrene) and α-Hydroxyisobutyric Acid (from MTBE) is borderline high

Is a mercury serum RBC test just as valid or more valid than a hair sample test?

I'm not sure what to address first. Clearly all three problems are connected.

2. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Serum RBC will be usefull to verify if there is an acute mercury toxicity, not a chronic one. Heavy metals escape the blood and have great affinity for tissues (especially those who are loaded with lipids, like the brain).

Generally, you have to do a provocation test with DMPS to delocate mercury, and then measure it in urine, but it may be very uncomfortable in the case you are loaded with heavy metals.

Johnmac likes this.
  3. drew

drew

Would hair analysis be the best option then for heavy metal detection?

4. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    I don't know. I had a hair analysis done several years ago. The result showed a very heavy load of lead, which is completely logical with years of handling lead pigments without protection. So I tend to think it is somehow useful.
    You have to follow good guidelines in order to minimise bias (like not using types of shampoos etc. I don't remember, sorry, but you may find some more info on previous threads).

5. Johnmac

Johnmac Senior Member

Cambodia
    Hair tests are regarded by Dr Cutler as the closest thing to a reliable test for mercury toxicity. But they require skilled interpretation. This is available on the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo group - which is the best place to be for mercury questions.

Injected provocation tests can be dangerous: dmpsbackfire.com

See more popular forum discussions.