• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High incidence of antibodies to 5-hydroxytryptamine, gangliosides and phospholipids in patients with

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I wasn't sure where to post this, because it wasn't "the latest research." This study was done in 1996. Also, I am sure it was brought up before, but I could not find it, so I am creating a thread for it again.
The reason I wanted to post this again is because it makes so much sense. It is explains why the Simplified Methylation protocol helps (especially the Phosphatidyl Serine Comples). It explains why some people are helped a bit by medicines like Savella (a serotonin and norepinephrine inhibitor). It explains why some people are helped by herbs that block NF-Kappa B. And, it explains why Rituximab works well for some.

Please tell me what you think.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9392689

Eur J Med Res. 1995 Oct 16;1(1):21-6.
High incidence of antibodies to 5-hydroxytryptamine, gangliosides and phospholipids in patients with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia syndrome and their relatives: evidence for a clinical entity of both disorders.

Source

Department of Internal Medicine, University of Tubingen, Germany.
Abstract

The fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is one of the most frequent rheumatic disorders showing a wide spectrum of different symptoms. An association with the chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) has been discussed. Recently, a defined autoantibody pattern consisting of antibodies to serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT), gangliosides and phospholipids was found in about 70% of the patients with FMS. We were therefore interested in seeing whether patients with CFS express similar humoral immunoreactivity. Sera from 42 CFS patients were analysed by ELISA for these antibodies, and the results were compared with those previously observed in 100 FMS patients. 73% of the FMS and 62% of the CFS patients had antibodies to serotonin, and 71% or 43% to gangliosides, respectively. Antibodies to phospholipids could be detected in 54% of the FMS and 38% of the CFS patients. 49% of FMS and 17% of the CFS patients had all three antibodies in parallel, 70% and 55%, respectively had at least two of these antibody types. 21% of FMS and 29% of CFS patients were completely negative for these antibodies. Antibodies to 5-HT were closely related with FMS/CFS while antibodies to gangliosides and phospholipids could also be detected in other disorders. The observation that family members of CFS and FMS patients also had these antibodies represents an argument in favour of a genetic predisposition. These data support the concept that FMS and CFS may belong to the same clinical entity and may manifest themselves as 'psycho-neuro-endocrinological autoimmune diseases'.
PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]