1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

High IgGs...what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by ViaSwiss, Nov 5, 2012.

1. ViaSwiss

ViaSwiss

I have high IgG for EBV and CMV, but normal IgM.

My Dr says that its ok and no treatment is needed.

Is he right?

2. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
  3. Scavo86

Scavo86 Senior Member

England
    People will interpret those results in varying ways but one suggestion is that the IgG relates to a past infection and so your body is still pumping out antibodies to the EBV and CMV. IgM relates to more recent infection, and so the high IgG levels suggest that whilst you are not in the midst of a current, acute EBV/CMV infection, for whatever reason your body has not calmed down with the antibody production.

4. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I would read this article from Holtorf:

http://www.holtorfmed.com/index.php?section=downloads&file_id=46

Symptomatic likes this.
  5. ViaSwiss

ViaSwiss

Thanks Emma that is very helpful!

6. Timaca

Timaca Senior Member

For some doctors, it depends on how "high" your results are. For example, with the doctors I see, if the result is 1:320 or higher then they are suspicious that I may have a chronic infection of that pathogen.

Or if the result is reported in a different way, such as 5.74, the doctors are not concerned, because even though this is "high" as far as the lab is concerned, it just means past exposure and doesn't indicate active infection.

So, to answer your question, it depends on how high your lab results are.

For further info (on HHV-6 testing which will give you some idea of what I mean) see: http://www.hhv-6foundation.org/patients/hhv-6-testing-for-patients

Best, Timaca

7. ViaSwiss

ViaSwiss

For example.

EBV IgG = >8 (0-0.9)

??

8. Timaca

Timaca Senior Member

Well, if it is >8, then that seems to indicate that it is as high as the lab measures (indicated by the ">" sign). So I would look more closely into EBV as a possible reason for your illness. Do you have any other tests for EBV, such as an EA (early antigen)? What was your CMV result?

Best, Timaca

9. ViaSwiss

ViaSwiss

EBV: >8 (0-0.9)
    CMV: 7.8 (0-0.9)
    HSV-1: 5.55 (0-1.9)

HSV-2: Negative
    Lyme: Negative

10. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    smash it with antivirals and if u feel better then its a viral issue, tests indicate it could be an issue.
    Did u have a full blood count and are lymphocytes high and or neutrophils high or low as these can indicate ongoing infections?

11. ViaSwiss

ViaSwiss

Normal lymphos + neutros

12. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    If u can get a lymphocyte sub set test, i guessing your cd8 t cells will be high, its also an indicator of active herpes infections, otherwise the only way to know is to treat it and see how u respond. all we know is testing is a guide??

13. ViaSwiss

ViaSwiss

If I were to treat with anti-virals....what would I use

Valtrex is not enough, right?

I would need either Valcyte or Famvir? Which is better/cheaper?

14. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Famvir is alot, way, heaps cheaper and less toxic but maybe not as strong as valcyte and valcyte needs regular blood work done because of toxicity. I think famvir is generally easier to handle and i think the best one to start off on. Famvir isnt indicated for cmv or hhv6 but there is enough of us on here who have used the drug and seen viral testing improve as well as symptoms from famvir. dosing of famvir though seems to vary alot amongst everyone using it. myself i found 250mg twice a day enough, some have used 1000mg 3 times a day but generally i think most are using 500mg twice a day. It has a long intracellular half life so dosing more then twice a day i dont think is neccessary for these viruses.
    http://www.magicpharma.com/index.php?cPath=33_188&osCsid=2a274a31fbeae61a3acfb6d14b700d54

15. ViaSwiss

ViaSwiss

Thanks. Since I have EBV should I take Valtrex too or is it not needed?

16. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    famvir will cover ebv plus from the link i gave u famvir is cheaper then valtrex. Its possible that taking valtrex and famvir will hit the viruses from 2 angles but start with 1.

17. ViaSwiss

ViaSwiss

What is the general consensus on LDN in conjunction with antivirals? Does it improve immune function or natural killer function? How does it compare to the other "immune boosters"?

18. ViaSwiss

ViaSwiss

Got a prescription for Famvir 500mg 2x a day.

heapsreal likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.