• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Fructose Corn Syrup vs. Sucrose

Rvanson

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/

I dont know if this is a cause of CFS/ME, but I am an older man who first worked for my father, delivering
products to farmers. Back in the day, Sugar Beets were a major crop in the counties where I lived in the US.
We had sugar beet refinery plants all over, employing lots of workers, and even had Sugar Queen contests in our counties. Back then, obese people were around, of course, but most people tended to be relatively HWP, unlike now. My parents and grandparents were not obese.

Then, during the 1980's, it seemed that the sugar beet crops were being phased out slowly, until some of
the refineries started closing down. At the same time, looking back all those years ago, lots of HFCS's
(High Fructose Corn Syrup) were being used in our foods and soft drinks, instead of beet sugar, which is
pretty much identical to the sugar made from sugar cane, which is more given to being grown in more tropical climates, like Cuba and the like.

Now there are NO sugar beets being grown in my original home state, and all the sugar beet refineries
have been closed for two decades or more. All the while BIG Corn seems to be the "king crop", and not just
for food or HFCS, but it is also added to the gasoline in many states as Corn-made Ethanol, to increase octane levels, and supposedly lower tailpipe emissions, which is dubious, at best according to all the information I have read about on the subject, as I am knowledgeable in both
automotive fuels and automotive mechanics. I have seen no studies that indicate that Ethanol
lowers emissions whatsoever.

Ethanol only produces half the horsepower of gasoline, so when gasoline is mixed with 10 percent Ethanol, you are losing 5% or more horsepower per gallon, thus decreasing power and gas mileage. Also, Ethanol in gasoline tends to destroy the fuel systems of small motors used in lawn mowers, chain-saws, weed-eaters
and other such devices, that are not as expensive as a motor vehicle, costing owners more money for repairs.

I have often wondered why so many Americans are obese these days, compared to 30+ years ago, and this seems to be a part of the problem, as far as I can tell, from what I have read. Is it time to tell King Corn to take a hike out of our foods, and go back to cane or beet sugar? And, yes, reducing both our HFCS and sugar intake would help too, in that regard.

Last edited:

sarah darwins

There's a fantastic BBC documentary by Jacques Peretti on this subject, called "The Men Who Made Us Fat". You may be able to find it to stream online.

Basically, the whole 'big corn' thing with high fructose corn syrup, and the deliberate covering up of evidence of the harm it does, has been a long-term political stitch-up led by the US government to protect US agriculture. It hasn't really worked. People in the farming states have still gotten poorer, but some huge corporate interests have done very well. Same old same old. HFCS is poison.

Rvanson

There's a fantastic BBC documentary by Jacques Peretti on this subject, called "The Men Who Made Us Fat". You may be able to find it to stream online.

Basically, the whole 'big corn' thing with high fructose corn syrup, and the deliberate covering up of evidence of the harm it does, has been a long-term political stitch-up led by the US government to protect US agriculture. It hasn't really worked. People in the farming states have still gotten poorer, but some huge corporate interests have done very well. Same old same old. HFCS is poison.

Yes it seems to be just that. On top of that, most Corn grown these days is GMO corn, not the non-GMO corn.

Whoever invented the term "follow the money" was spot on. This is ALL about the money and to hell with the
health of Americans. Funny, but the term "health-care" these days seems to involve being Rx'ed lots of pills.

That way BIG-AG and BIG PHARMA get to make lots of money off of everyone that becomes ill or overweight.