The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

high ferritin level ??? give blood donation???

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Johnskip, Apr 19, 2017 at 7:46 AM.

1. Johnskip

Johnskip

I think it would be helpful to get unbound excess iron out of the body??

2. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    Only abut 10 % elevated ferritin is due to iron overload.

Ferritin is an acute phase protein so is elevated in inflammatory states, during infection, metabolic syndrome, liver disease and a number of other conditions.

The single most sensitive indicator of iron overload is transferrin saturation. >45% is strongly suggestive of iron overload, >55% is unequivocal iron overload.

3. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

Canada
    You're probably just kidding, but please don't take the chance of giving blood if you have ME.

Valentijn and Cohen2 like this.
  4. Johnskip

Johnskip

Oh you think you can give somebody ME by giving blood I disagreee, and I think it can actually help us by giving blood

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017 at 7:16 PM
  5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    There is now very good research indicating that there is something in our blood serum. We don't yet know what it is, but if you want to "give" blood, might be better to have it discarded than risking passing something on. In some places ME/CFS patients are not allowed to give blood.

Kati, Helen, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  6. lakesarecool

lakesarecool Senior Member

I would really recommend listening to what alicec said above. A few of us just talked about high ferritin and low iron in this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ow-iron-and-ferritin.50758/page-2#post-838661

With something like CFS it wouldn't be surprising for someone to have high Ferritin with low iron levels. In my case I have had high ferritin for years and my iron is always either low or at the lower end of the scale.

7. lakesarecool

lakesarecool Senior Member

Just as an example, Canada does not allow blood donations for CFS.
    https://blood.ca/en/blood/abcs-eligibility

TigerLilea and Sushi like this.
  8. CCC

CCC Senior Member

You can give a therapeutic 'donation'. This means they take your blood then throw it away.

It's an established way of reducing iron overload.

I have relatives (in law) who have to do this. I think they just needed a letter or somthing from the doctor to set this up.

barbc56 likes this.
  9. Johnskip

Johnskip

Yes thankyou that's what I want to do

10. Johnskip

Johnskip

I think this is how we get more energy reduce the excess unbound iron and up your ceruloplasm

11. Johnskip

Johnskip

stored iron is measured by ferritin you do not want stored iron

12. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Though to be fair, although people may develop ME/CFS after receiving a blood transfusion, presumably by catching an ME/CFS-associated virus from the blood, that virus may not have come from an ME/CFS patient giving blood, but is more likely to have come from a healthy member of the public donating blood (because ME/CFS-associated viruses are common in the general population).

In the UK, in any case, all blood and tissue donations from ME/CFS patients are banned.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 12:48 AM
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Ditto. I have super high ferritin, but I am borderline low iron ... a point lower it would be considered a problem.

14. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Blood can be removed by a doctor, and is done routinely in hemochromatosis patients.

And I agree that donating blood for use in transfusions would be extremely irresponsible while the cause of ME is unknown.

barbc56, TigerLilea and Sushi like this.
  15. Jessie 107

Jessie 107

Brighton
    I was reading about blood donation the other day, apparently if people with M. E donate it will make us more ill. For this reason we are not allowed to donate

16. Johnskip

Johnskip

really why?

17. Johnskip

Johnskip

why would it be bad for us to give blood???? I understand risk of other people absolutely but for us?

18. Jessie 107

Jessie 107

Brighton
    I don't know why, it just said donating blood would cause us to feel more ill than we already do.

19. Johnskip

Johnskip

I don't believe that for one second

20. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    I suspect that brain iron deposition may be involved with neurodegenerative disorders. That would include ME.

The studies, though are mostly with MS, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, etc. patients.

Phlebotomy doesn't work very well with removing brain iron. Chelation is looking better. Still, it needs more research.

See more popular forum discussions.