Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

High-dose vitamin D ?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Aubry, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Aubry

Aubry

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4734680

Background:
    Vitamin D has been shown to be related to autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis and psoriasis. Correlations have been reported between vitamin D levels and prevalence and severity of other autoimmune disorders, and also between vitamin D therapy and disease improvement and remission.

Case Report:
    This is a case report of a patient with severe and refractory myasthenia gravis (MG) who followed a “high-dose vitamin D treatment”, a massive-dose treatment (80 000 to 120 000 IU/day) promoted by a medical center in Brazil (but still not proven), and she had her first complete remission after this type of treatment with increased vitamin D serum levels (400 to 700 ng/mL).

Conclusions:
    This case report may reinforce the reported correlation between vitamin D level and disease severity and introduces a possible new use for vitamin D as a potential target for treating autoimmune diseases. We recommend large, double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized studies using high-dose vitamin D treatment for refractory autoimmune diseases to reliably assess this pharmacotherapy target for these diseases.

BLZIN, sb4, ScottTriGuy and 4 others like this.
  2. AdamS

AdamS Senior Member

@gregh286 may be interested in this. I think he saw significant benefits from a high dose (25,000 ui approx) Vitamin D regimin.

ljimbo423 likes this.
  3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Marc_NL and PatJ like this.
  4. gregh286

gregh286 Senior Member

Londonderry, Northern Ireland.
    yes i still take 25k daily.
    its interesting.

ScottTriGuy and AdamS like this.
  5. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    Have you reduced the calcium in your diet to avoid absorbing too much?

6. gregh286

gregh286 Senior Member

Londonderry, Northern Ireland.
    No. For 2 reasons.
    I am only on 1/4 of the coimbra recommned dose.
    Second..didnt or dont each much calcium anyway.

PatJ likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.