Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

High-Dose Vitamin D Modulates Immune System in MS

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by beaker, Jan 3, 2016.

1. beaker

beaker ME/cfs 1986

USA
    High-Dose Vitamin D Modulates Immune System in MS
    Pilot study suggests daily dose of 10,400 IU is safe
    12-30-2015

Curious if anyone more versed in specifics of common immune findings and/ or those of the Lipkin studies, if there is overlap in the immune cells that are abnormal in MS (and subsequently helped in this study) and MEcfs.
    I'm in over my brain capacity at the moment.

Thank you.

PS you may have to sign up to get full report, but it is free and not too hard.

morse27 likes this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Just a warning that some pwME are sensitive to Vitamin D so would not be able to tolerate high doses like that. See this thread for example.

Mij, nandixon and funkyqueen like this.
  3. funkyqueen

funkyqueen Senior Member

South of France
    I read some studies, (not those funded by the labs;)) saying that more than+ 30 000 IU of vit D, was toxic. Others studies speak of a toxicity threshold from 10,000 IU per day, and still others providing a daily dose of 5000 UI is safe.

The reason I read about vit. D's toxicity in lambdas people?
    Like many other patients with autoimmune conditions , many have noticed (like me), that vit D supplementation seem to "feed" their diseases ... (!!)

That is why, despite of i'm only 33 years old , i have some severe osteoporosis, and I refrain me from any vit.D supplementation ...

I'm not saying at all that I am right or wrong to do this, but I feel it like that ..A kind of animal, visceral feeling... Like taking vit D supplement "feeds" my ME, and each time I supplemented with vit D, I noticed a worsening ... (even if I can swear that it is bound) ... (which might explain my vit D deficiency, even before I lack of sun - I live in a region in France where it is the same weather as in California, so very sunny), and when osteoporosis was diagnosed to me, I had never been deficient, no lack of sun or in vit D ...

PS / The safe dose would not exceed more than 5000ui per day (and in France, Doctors prescribe ampules "monthly" (one dose for one month) containing 100 000 IU per dose :meh: ) ....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Mij likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.