• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High-Dose Vitamin D Modulates Immune System in MS

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
High-Dose Vitamin D Modulates Immune System in MS
Pilot study suggests daily dose of 10,400 IU is safe
12-30-2015

No differences in serum cytokine levels were observed, but they did see differences in immune cells.
In the high-dose group, they found a significant reduction in the proportion of interleukin-17+CD4+ T cells (P=0.016), CD161+CD4+ T cells (P=0.03), and effector memory CD4+ T cells (P=0.021).

There was also a concomitant increase in the proportion of central memory CD4+ T cells (P=0.018) and naive CD4+ T cells (P=0.04) for patients in this group.

Curious if anyone more versed in specifics of common immune findings and/ or those of the Lipkin studies, if there is overlap in the immune cells that are abnormal in MS (and subsequently helped in this study) and MEcfs.
I'm in over my brain capacity at the moment.

Thank you.

PS you may have to sign up to get full report, but it is free and not too hard.

funkyqueen

I read some studies, (not those funded by the labs;)) saying that more than+ 30 000 IU of vit D, was toxic. Others studies speak of a toxicity threshold from 10,000 IU per day, and still others providing a daily dose of 5000 UI is safe.

The reason I read about vit. D's toxicity in lambdas people?
Like many other patients with autoimmune conditions , many have noticed (like me), that vit D supplementation seem to "feed" their diseases ... (!!)

That is why, despite of i'm only 33 years old , i have some severe osteoporosis, and I refrain me from any vit.D supplementation ...

I'm not saying at all that I am right or wrong to do this, but I feel it like that ..A kind of animal, visceral feeling... Like taking vit D supplement "feeds" my ME, and each time I supplemented with vit D, I noticed a worsening ... (even if I can swear that it is bound) ... (which might explain my vit D deficiency, even before I lack of sun - I live in a region in France where it is the same weather as in California, so very sunny), and when osteoporosis was diagnosed to me, I had never been deficient, no lack of sun or in vit D ...

PS / The safe dose would not exceed more than 5000ui per day (and in France, Doctors prescribe ampules "monthly" (one dose for one month) containing 100 000 IU per dose :meh: ) ....

Last edited: