Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

High dose vitamin B1 (thiamine)

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by manoka, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

Now that I think of it, we did both have frequent burping for the first few months. This has now gone though. No sin of burping for the last month or so.
    Something which may be related to thiamine : we both have grown a lot of hairs at the base of the skull, from a line south of the bottom of the ears. Thick and wavy.
    I wonder if this is not an external manifestation of repairs induced by thiamine on the brainstem, since this area is the most targeted by thiamine deficiency.

If more thiamine brings more hair there, what about other parts of the skull? What is missing in different areas of the scalp? Or will thiamine eventually bring hair to other areas?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Kathevans and sb4 like this.
  2. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    This is interesting. I have a very itchy skull on the Allithiamin, which I've never had before. Both this symptom and the blotchy face along either side of my nose waned after a week on 50 mg/ day and when I raised the dose to cover the IBS(refeeding symptom...?) that returned. But then, I'm fiddling with more than one thing, so the picture isn't truly clear.

sb4 and pattismith like this.
  3. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Thiamine increases DHT by increasing NADPH production.

tango and sb4 like this.
  4. CedarHome

CedarHome

Sorry for mercury question in thiamine thread but -
    Can you say a little more about the mercury patches on your cheeks?

What do they look like and how long do they last?

thank you~

5. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

They were grey blue over the teeth on the cheeks, which is why I thought they were mercury from previous (long removed) amalgam fillings, faded slowly then could only be seen in bright light then were completely gone. I don't know really how long it took because I don't watch myself very much and also they were not very noticeable after a couple of months. This has happened a few times in the last ten years, but when they go away, they go away completely. There is a reddish stage after the blue-grey.
    Be well! :hug:

CedarHome likes this.
  6. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    @CedarHome I think I may have mentioned having these 'mercury patches' on another thread--Either this or some other form of detox that combines a rash on my forehead and red blotches very much in the position of the underlying sinuses, or, in fact, the look you read about for those who have lupus. For me, the rash appeared soon after starting Alithiamine at about 12mg 2 or three times a day and now, at just over 150mg/day, it has begun to dissipate. The skin, as it heals, is very dry also, and I have had to use a facial scrub to remove it. Now, if I up the dose significantly it becomes a bit redder, but if I go slowly, I'm left primarily with night sweats...and some sore lymph nodes (appeared in the last week). My sore calves, which appeared early on, I see as a symptom of refeeding, and that pain began to ease also at about 150mg/day. I also have a lot of mucus, nasal congestion, itchy head--- Let's face it, this was a serious deficiency! Did I say it completely stopped my heart palpitations. Only an occasional flutter at this point.

Oh, and I've been at it only for a little over a month...

Well, after reading @Asklipia 's description, I wonder if my patches were mercury. Possibly a host of other stuff! It's always good to know what people are experiencing. It helps us to hone in on possibilities!

Asklipia, CedarHome and sb4 like this.
  7. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

Something else happened last week : I had a very painful spot on the left biceps. This was like a muscular pain from over exertion of the muscle, maybe tearing. But I had done absolutely nothing special with that arm!
    It was deep and very localized. In fact just in the spot used for vaccination.
    Lasted for three days, gone as if it had never happened.
    Strange.

pattismith and Gondwanaland like this.
  8. Gondwanaland

There is fresh new research on Rosacea:
    @alethea mentioned before that B1 seems to repel mites.

Kathevans, pattismith and CedarHome like this.
  9. CedarHome

CedarHome

Thanks for replying re: rashes

I seem to get an intermittent mystery facial rash that no one can diagnose AND there is rosacea in my family.

helpful on all accounts!

10. Gondwanaland

Also check this out:
    Zinc Therapy in Dermatology: A Review

Kathevans and CedarHome like this.
  11. JasonUT

JasonUT Senior Member

Yes, I can confirm that B1 does seem to repel insects. Especially mosquitos. A couple weeks ago I was sitting in my back yard and noticed 10-15 mosquitos flying around me, but none of them would land on me. I sat in the chair and watched them for about 5 minutes. They would come within an inch of my skin, but not a single bite. It was the strangest thing.

alethea, CedarHome, sb4 and 3 others like this.
  12. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

This is consistent with my experience.
    Mosquitoes lost interest in me when I was using LED red light. Some posts about this.
    Red light gave a lot of thiamine-like effects.
    As to the thiamine protecting against mosquitoes, we have experienced it too.
    Interesting about rosacea findings. I suffered from it all my youth (together with attracting mosquitoes and general thiamine deficiency as I now understand). It went away with MK4 supplementation. It came back with a vengeance as blepharitis when I was staying in a fluoride area. Very difficult to cure, but it went away after 4 months of high thiamine supplementation.
    So the mites hypothesis sticks.

CedarHome, Kathevans and Gondwanaland like this.
  13. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    Well, well, well! I'm glad to be rid of them! Are these mites similar to dust mites, I womnder? My sinuses are clearing more and more as I use the B1. In the past I've also had a natural healer tell me that rosacea was a manifestation of candida.

I am hovering around 170mg of Allithiamin per day and the rash is constantly improving. There is also a lot of throat and post nasal mucus and sputtering late in the evening and on and off in those first few hours of sleep and waking at night. By about 3 a.m. Things have settled down. Maybe I'm pushing a bit too fast...

Asklipia and Gondwanaland like this.
  14. Gondwanaland

Just like Candida, Rosacea could be a manifestation of hyperglycemia, and we know B1 is very important for proper carb metabolism.

Attached Files:

CedarHome likes this.
  15. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    @Gondwanaland Yes! Thank you so much for putting so many of these pieces together. I was ridiculously hypoglycemic for years. It's much better at this point, and I'm looking for further improvement with the B1.

Oh, and although I only weigh about 112 pounds, my cholesterol is very high... this occurred as a slow climb over the last 8 years or so as my health generally declined. Let's see what the Thiamin will do...

16. Gondwanaland

I think that B3 and B5 are the cholesterol-lowering vits.

Asklipia and Kathevans like this.
  17. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

DH just informed me that he has grown a bunch of curly thick hairs from his left ear!!!!! Not the right one though.
    Curiouser and curiouser! This is what I had noticed on healthy Sikh taxi drivers! From both ears in their case.

It might mean that this fur will go up on his scalp? He hopes so!:)
    For the moment my ears are normal.

Kathevans likes this.
  18. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    @Gondwanaland Niacin, of course. I'd forgotten about Pantothenic Acid... Thanks for the reminder...

19. Gondwanaland

Hmmm I think higher DHT produces Male Pattern Baldness/Alopecia areata. Are you guys taking Zinc? This could be from Carcinine decreasing Zinc availability.

20. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

I am the only one who went on high dose B1 & started dumping oxolates like crazy?

alethea likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.