• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High dose q-10

paolo

Hello,

I'm searching for testimonials on the use of high dose Q-10. I'm now taking doses up to 1200 mg/day with some positive effects during the first 10 days. Now I'm suffering a relapse.

I'm also taking idebenone, which is a syntetic -but somehow different- form of Q-10.

I'd like to know if is there someone who had some similar experience.

I don't have information for you but I am curious about your experiences.

Positive effects have disappeared or are less? More side effects? Are you having the opposite of the positive effects?

paolo

I'd been better for the first 10 days, without relapses; then I've experienced a crash, a bad one.

I'm trying to assume the mitochondrial therapy which is prescibed by physicians who treat mitochondrial deseases.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have a cousin who's two kids both had Huntington's Disease. She had them both on high doses of CoQ10, I think at least the dose you are taking if not more.

She was convinced that they helped them significantly.

If I remember correctly she would go to conferences for HD and MS so if you look into CoQ10 and MS I think you may find information.

Mink

paolo

Thanks.

I've noticed so far one thing: high dose q-10 is effective for muscolar pain.

alex3619

I was on a really good brand a few years ago, about 90mg of CoQ10, but it is no longer made, and I haven't been able to buy it in years. I need 300mg of Ubiquinol to get the same response. Clinically CoQ10 has been used in up to 600mg doses, though not for ME or CFS. I am not sure about Cheney's claim. Our biochemistry is so darn complicated that its really hard to figure out what is best.

Personally I think we need CoQ10 but we can expect some side effects, just as we can from every other thing we take. Lipoic, E, C, glutathione all work together wtih CoQ10 as an antioxidant chain, but CoQ10 is vitally necessary for energy production. Any deficiency will result in decreased energy production, and there have been several studies now (I think) that show some of us are deficient. Now if we increase our energy production we have to handle that, and especially not try to do too much too soon.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
If you are defficinet is a no-brainer that it would be beneficial supplementing. I am defficient in blood tests. 1200 is a very high dose though.

L'engle

moogle
I was taking enzymatic therapy's co q10 for a while a few years ago. I think it ended up giving me insomnia but I may try it again at a smaller amount, as it has seemed to provide some kind of benefit to brain function. Ubiquinol made me feel really weird the one time I took a sample of it.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I take a good variety of antioxidants but im not sure that i feel anything out of them but reguard them more of as something that protects us from damage, so i guess stopping us from getting worse and breaking down due to oxidative stress and inflammation. SO i think they are things need to be taken for the long haul.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Ubiquinol is a more active form of coq10. It works better for some people.

That´s strange heaps. Normally I would expect to feel something from taking antioxidants. Although my personal experience wth coq10 and what not has been the same - no difference. I think I used crappy brands though. I mean when I took pure encapsulations vitamin E I could feel a difference in libido - which is one of the top indicators of health IMO.

Last edited:

alex3619

Vitamin E is more powerful as gamma tocopherol, but I think that mixed tocopherols has its advantages. The reason is (I suggest) the range of tocopherols have different rates of conversion to more active tocopherol, and slightly different free radical target optimization, so it offers a better range of action. However gamma tocopherol is the most bioactive. MIxed tocopherols are cheaper though, gamma is the most expensive.

Alpha tocopherol is a joke. It can actually induce deficiency. Don't use it. This is because its has very low bioactivity, but at the same time can lower the absorption and use of better tocopherols from the diet.

Tammy

When I first started taking CoQ10 it made a very big difference......I think I was taking Carlsons at the time..........however sadly it just doesn't have the same affect now as it used to.