• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High dose NAC

drob31

Has anyone had good results with high dose N-Acetyl-Cysteine? I'm taking about 1.2 grams 3x a day and it seems to be boosting intracellular glutathione levels, because it feels like it's clearing my brain fog and giving me much more even energy levels. I know low glutathione levels are of the of the possibilities with CFS. Low levels of glutathione weaken the immune system and allow pathogens to flourish.

I recently posted in another thread about this.

I haven't been regular with NAC because I have to order it from abroad.
I have been taking NAC now for a few months, around 2400 mg daily divided into 1200 doses. Two in the morning thirty minutes after breakfast and two at night after dinner.

What do I feel?
I feel awesome, energetic, my brain fog clears up, major sinus drainage (sinus that was previously giving me a blocked nose is now flowing and I can breathe better). I am glowing and best of all, I can sleep 10 thousand times better. I sleep and wake up early. I sleep uninterrupted for 6-10 hours everyday and if I do wake up to go to the bathroom or someone wakes me up (Grrr...) I can go back to sleep like nothing happened. I get just enough sleep, and I wake up at proper times.

My bowel movements are more frequent which I guess is a good thing? It means stuff is moving out instead of me being constipated?

Do I get any side effects like herxing and diarrhea?
Only if I take more than 2400 mg, I'll get loose bowel movements and stomach pains or abdominal pains or if I pair it with Vitamin C. Nac alone with water works wonders.

I
hear you must take zinc and copper with NAC as it gets rid of heavy metal but for some reason that gives me diarrhea....

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I used to take 1200 mgs a day no problem. Not high.

I stopped and restarted the other day and I couldn't even tolerate one. I had horrible fog, felt drugged.

*GG*

Has anyone had good results with high dose N-Acetyl-Cysteine? I'm taking about 1.2 grams 3x a day and it seems to be boosting intracellular glutathione levels, because it feels like it's clearing my brain fog and giving me much more even energy levels. I know low glutathione levels are of the of the possibilities with CFS. Low levels of glutathione weaken the immune system and allow pathogens to flourish.

Oh, is that what it does? LOL Been taking it for year now :)

GG