• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Dosage methylfolate users

Johnmac

Sorry Athene, I don't know enough to answer.

The only thing I know about iron is that several hours on Google didn't yield me data on a single study showing that an iron supplement worked. Not saying they don't - but I eat lots of kidney, liver & red meat for my iron.

I also know that the official range for iron studies are usually wrong - generally too low. This is very often the case with medical pathology tests.

Athene*

Sorry Athene, I don't know enough to answer.

The only thing I know about iron is that several hours on Google didn't yield me data on a single study showing that an iron supplement worked. Not saying they don't - but I eat lots of kidney, liver & red meat for my iron.

I also know that the official range for iron studies are usually wrong - generally too low. This is very often the case with medical pathology tests.

Thanks anyway, @Johnmac. Hope you're doing well. It's interesting what you say and good advice. I do eat red meat too, though not kidney and liver. I know so little myself. I just read on a Facebook page called 'Magnesium Advocates' run by a guy called Morley Robbins that would agree with you re iron supplements. He says it's copper and ceruloplasm that are important in determining iron 'dysregulation' (he says actual iron deficiency is rare), but I"m so tired and have poor concentration again so I'm finding it hard to work it out. There's all this stuff about bio-unavailable copper even though copper might seem high or even toxic...and end result is low iron. I wish @Freddd was around. I would trust what he says about copper - he had issues with it and i suspect I might have, but of course I could be wrong and it could be some other limiting 'refeeding syndrome' deficiency. Well done to you and others here who have worked all this out for themselves. I'm trying to watch TV to take my mind off buzzing feet and hoping I don't get any neurological damage before I sort this out. My Irish doctor is completely clueless and won't even test copper, magnesium etc, so I'll have to find somewhere that does...

Athene*

@Johnmac Just to say I've discovered there is folic acid (aaargh!) in some gluten-free Juvela crackers I've been munching on over last few days - perhaps that would explain things reversing! And my latest thyroid tests from last week show I'm currently hypothyroid - I guess that could bring down my iron...(I ran out of t3 pills, but have some now)

junkcrap50

Has anyone attempted administrating methylfolate via the nasal passages?

Since intranasal absorption is highest compared to sublingual and digestion, one might be able to save money by consuming much lower doses. I know there have been a few posts of people having tried nasal b12, but that their experience was far too intense. I haven't found anything on the forums of people trying nasal folate. There is a danger to this since inducing a methyl trap could be easily done. You would have to attempt with a very low dose (say 400mcg or less).

A second question: Has anyone found any one form of methylfolate, e.g. Extrafolate-S, not work at all compared to Metafolin, even at high doses?

CCC

A second question: Has anyone found any one form of methylfolate, e.g. Extrafolate-S, not work at all compared to Metafolin, even at high doses?
Second that question:

We're chewing through the Solgar 1000mcg methylfolate tablets, we've tried the Thorne Research 1mg, and I'd like to try the Life Extentions 5000mcg tablets.

Here's the listed ingredients:
  • Solgar: Folate (as L-methylfolate as Metafolin)
  • Life Extension: Folate [as (6S)-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid, glucosamine salt]^
    ^ Quatrefolic is a registered trademark of Gnosis, S.p.A., Patent number 7,947,662
  • Thorne: Folate (as 5-Methyl-tetrahydrofolate†)
    † This product uses Gnosis S.p.A.'s L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate (Extrafolate-S).
EDIT: the life Extension page is here: http://www.quatrefolic.com/quatrefolic_vs_folic.html, and seems to say it's the methylfolate form.

If that's right, this just leaves the question of whether (6S)-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid is as close to L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate as they claim.

EDIT 2: To answer my own question: Ben Lynch says they are the same.

Is that the experience of people here?

EDIT 3: See this thread for the answer, and the link in there to this table, which means I'll probably stay with the Solgar.

Last edited:

CCC

I've been using Life Extension for about a year. I use it sublingual. Working great, no sweetners.
Thanks for the confirmation. We've order the Life Extension since it's one way of reducing the pill count.