• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High DHEA-S

kday

Anybody else have high DHEA-S? What does this mean? My doctor says it's good and not to worry about it, but don't most have low DHEA-S?

kday

I've never taken steroids and have had my adrenals scanned years ago because of my symptoms. Also had an MRI a couple years ago, but have another one scheduled for tuesday for neuro symptoms. A couple years ago, they were all normal.

adreno

PR activist
What are your DHEA-S levels, and how old are you? Are your other hormone levels in the normal range?

rlc

Hi Kday high DHEA-S levels can be caused by these 13 illnesses see http://en.diagnosispro.com/differen...osterone-s-dheas-lab-increased/14103-154.html more information on DHEA-s can be found here http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/dheas/tab/test A lot of these illnesses can cause CFS like symptoms and if I were you I would be questioning the advice you have been given by your doctor about high DHEA-S levels. It means that your body is over producing a hormone and some serious illnesses can be responsible for this.

Have you had tests like serum ACTH , ACTH stimulation test, serum aldosterone and morning cortisol to test adrenal function? Scans do not always pick up adrenal illnesses. I take it they are doing an MRI of your brain on tuesday? Ask them to have a good look at your pituitary to look for pituitary adenomas. If that is OK, if you haven't already i'd suggest you get an Endocrinologist to investigate all the possible causes of your high DHEA-S levels.

Hope this helps

All the best

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
high dhea can be from the early stages of adrenal fatigue as it tries to compensate for the stress one is under, be it infection, personal matters etc. At that stage just trying to reduce stress and getting good sleep is the way to go but a challenge. keep an eye on adrenal hormones because if the stress cauing this issue continues then adrenal hormones can drop to low levels ie cortisol and dhea, then supplementing with dhea, pregnenolone for cortisol could help. it many of us the stress cauing this is an infection which one needs to find and treat, another challenge.

cheers!!!