• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Cysteine Low Cysteinylglycine

Homocysteine HPLC 6.0 umol/L 4.6-15.5umol/L
Cysteine HPLC 280 umol/L 167-257umol/L
Cysteinylglycine HPLC 28.0 umol/L 56.7-74.7umol/L

Any help me interpret these results and what I should do ? Does this mean my homocysteine is fine, my cysteine is high and my glyceine is low ? Or something else ? I take methylfolate for MTHFR677 homozygous and have lots of cracking joints.

Thanks.

Valentijn

Yes, your homocysteine looks fine. But you might be slow in producing glutathione, due to low glycine. Cysteine is the more common rate-limiting component, but glycine can be a problem instead of, or in addition to, cysteine. Supplementing glycine could help by producing glutathione, and by reducing glutamate in the process of doing that.

So I guess I'll stop with any NAC supplements i've been taking and go buy some glyceine.. See what happens! Thanks Valentijn.

Lynn_M

Valentijn,

Do you have any idea what would help glutathione conjugation? My Spectracell micronutrient test showed I have good levels of glutathione and every other antioxidant they tested for, but my Spectrox Total Antioxidant Function was deficient.

I think this paradox is due to my being homozygous GG (+/+) for GSTP I105V. GSTP genes encode the Glutathione S-transferase P enzyme. Glutathione S-transferases (GSTs) are a family of enzymes that play an important role in detoxification by catalyzing the conjugation of many hydrophobic and electrophilic compounds with reduced glutathione. Mutations here are said to increase the need for glutathione.

However, since I tested as having ample glutathione, I'm dubious that taking supplemental glutathione will help me. But I don't know what else would be helpful.