• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Cortisol Levels - HELP needed

Mary

Moderator Resource
@gregh286 - I think you're right, that a banana is about 400 mg. There are a lot of foods high in potassium but I'd have to eat a lot calories to get enough. I think orange juice is another good source, and sweet potatoes (all these things high in sugar! which is another no-no for me) I know there are other foods without that much sugar which have potassium. You can look them up.

Having said all this, you might try the potassium supplements, at least initially, to see if they help (and I have a strong suspicion they will). It would be a quick and easy way to find out if low potassium is the problem. I would suggest taking 200 mg. every couple of hours to see how you do. When I first supplemented potassium after starting folate on the B12 protocol, I think I took 2 days to get up to 1000 mg. a day of potassium, but now if I have symptoms of low potassium, will take that much or more easily in a day, spread out over the day.

If you do any reading about taking potassium, you will see all sorts of warnings about too much potassium and the heart. The thing is it's almost impossible to get too much potassium orally, unless your kidneys are impaired. But I think that's why it comes in 99 mg. tablets. So I can end up taking 10 or 12 capsules a day. The daily RDA is around 4,000 mg. (though I'm beginning to think it's probably higher), and so taking 1000 mg. is 25% of the RDA.

Let us know how it goes -

I just recently started having high cortisol (continuing to rise...but the thing is...when my reading was normal, my potassium was very low and I had to start supplements. After that was when it started rising. These were blood tests though, so now I am having saliva done.

Hi,
Having been a CFS sufferer for a year the only results I have that show any sign of abnormality is high cortisol and high DHEA, i attached the results.On average my cortisol is around 75-100% higher than the median target over 4 samples.
I wonder if high readings like this are enough to create adrenal exhaustion and CFS thereafter.
I am not a stressed person, so no idea why readings are so high.
Is there any natural supplements to combat this and maybe restore my energy.
I normally wake up totally exhausted and tend to improve marginally during the day, seemingly relating to my cortisol reducing.
The longer I sleep, I tend to get worse, which it totally contrary to CFS belief, and with most CFS folk, they have low cortisol so Im totally baffled.
Any one with help or opinion, it would be very much apppreciated.
Maybe its a symptom of the real cause, or maybe it is part of the cause.

Also, when I'm having a real bad spell, i get very thirsty, quite unusual.
All kidney function tests and blood sugars are normal.
What a bewildering condition.

Thanks

View attachment 8340
Hi.
Did you find a way to lower your cortisol? I'm suffering from a very high afternoon level and I could use some tips. Thanks.