Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

High Cortisol and High DHEA levels. Any toughts?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Folk, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Folk

Folk Senior Member

So I got High Cortisol and DHEA levels in my blood tests
    I've been feeling pretty strange for the last week, with hard time concentrating and seeing properly. It's like I'm high or something. In a bad way. I've never had brain fog before.

I had horrible gut issues with pain and bloating when I was making my best improvment ever just with diet and exercises (as I said in another topic). So that made me really stressed too...

Do you guys have any toughts on that? Is it probably the high levels of Cortisol and DHEA the cause for my head/vision confusion? And also, anyone know how to fix it? (I'm getting better slowly from my gut problems... but this seems to me getting worse)

Edit: forgot to mention. I'm pretty sure that the dizziness gets a lot worse after eating a lot of carbs...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    What time of day was cortisol tested? In a "healthy" person cortisol is higher in the morning and declines until it is low in the evening allowing sleep. In many ME/CFS patients this curve is reversed -- low in the morning, higher in the evening.

Sushi

3. Folk

Folk Senior Member

It was tested in the morning. But it was higher than the normal range.
    According to the doctors I have FM btw

4. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    If you could post the actual numbers plus references ranges it would make things a lot easier, plus knowing your age and gender would help. DHEA declines with age and the reference ranges are usually broken down by age group. A 35-year-old person will have more DHEA than someone who is 60. A lab might give a lower reference range for someone who is 60, but that person might feel their best when they are in the normal range for someone who is 35.

I forget if it's the cortisol/DHEA ratio or DHEA/cortisol ratio that is used to determine hormone balance. That is another reason why it would be good to see the actual numbers.

5. Folk

Folk Senior Member

Hey, here's the numbers:

CORTISOL
    Results: 28,7 µg/dL
    Reference: Morning 7 - 10 hours: 6,2 - 19,4 µg/dL
    Afternoon 16 - 20 hours: 2,3 - 11,9 µg/dL

HORMÔNIO DEHIDROEPIANDROSTERONA (DHEA)
    Results: 18,4 ng/mL

Reference:
    Woman: 1 a 12 ng/mL
    Man: 3 a 11 ng/mL

6. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

The first stage of adrenal fatigue is high cortisol, dhea and pregnenolone. I'm not saying it's that but it could be. Dr Lam is the best reference when it comes to the cycles. If it is in fact that now is the time to tend to it because you can easily remedy it.

7. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

I'm not sure I agree 100% with this. Cortisol can go from low to high to low based on what the PVN wants. It could be caused by something else like inflammation or infection. The adrenal glands don't get "fatigued."

8. gregh286

gregh286 Senior Member

Londonderry, Northern Ireland.
  9. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

You're right, it has all to do with the PVN and nothing to do with the adrenal glands but they have no bearing on how cortisol levels fluctuate. Usually adrenal hormones are raised due to any number of factors; lack of sleep, chronic infections, blue light, emf exposure, excessive emotional/physical stress etc.. During this stimulation phase adrenal hormones rise to compensate for said stress which is where the PVN starts losing it's ability to acutely sense the environment and ultimately an adrenal crash ensues. The crash can't come before the stimulation, though and these altered signals are brought on by brain toxicity.

10. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

@gregh286
    It may not be that at all, I'm just throwing out one possibility but regardless, something is stimulating you to cause high cortisol. Could be any number of body stressors.

Dr Lam is a doctor who has written out probably the most in depth research of adrenal fatigue cycles. However, he (and most other AF doctors) are behind the curve on the cause (as mentioned, the PVN not the adrenal al glands) but has tracked the phases very well.

11. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    High cortisol is related to FM and Depression, not ME/CFS. That is my understanding anyway.

See more popular forum discussions.