• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High b12 ???

dannybex

Does anyone else have this problem, or have an explanation?

I had my serum b12 levels tested a year or two back, and they were high -- can't quite remember the number, but it was something like 1475.

Just got results back a few days ago, and again, it came back high: 1388.

Wondering what this means...perhaps overmethylation? Or "under-transuluration"?

I do tend to be on the "extra-wired" end of the CFS spectrum...hard to settle down, sit still, concentrate/focus...yet still bone-crushing weakness and fatigue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

dannybex

Thanks Caledonia,

I've been trying to raise $$ to get the methylation panel...for a couple years now. So frustrating. I think I might also have a sulfation or transulfation...OR transulferation(???)...or other liver detox pathway issues as well. I had an amino acid profile done TEN years ago that concluded I had 'impaired xenobiotic detoxification', among other things. Glutamatic acid was the highest amino(!) and glycine the lowest.

I kick myself (if I could) for not following up on that when I had the funds, but with brain fog and so many other different possibilities, not to mention the fact that 90% of the docs out there would not take the suggestion of a detox profile test seriously, I should just move forward -- after all, nothing we can do about the past. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I also wonder if I have salicylate/phenol intolerance, which might explain the low glycine levels...but that's for another thread I suppose.

Maybe Rich (or anyone else of course) will see this thread and can comment too.

Dan

p.s. Does anyone know the name of the Genova panel that tests all the pathways? Or possibly a different lab that might be cheaper?

Did you get this serum result without any supplementing of B12 at all? You're not for instance taking multivitamins that contain B12, or have had a short trial of sublingual B12s at some point in the past?

I had 1455 after about three months of 5000mcg mb12 sublinguals.

ukme

Hi Danny, my daughter has the very same problem, she has just had a serum B12 result of 1560 and v high folate also. Has never supplemented B12, appart from small amount in multivitamin. I am wondering if taking some supplements (glutathione? methionine?) can bring B12/folate levels up , but in any case I would love to have advice on how to deal with it.

dannybex

Did you get this serum result without any supplementing of B12 at all? You're not for instance taking multivitamins that contain B12, or have had a short trial of sublingual B12s at some point in the past?

I had 1455 after about three months of 5000mcg mb12 sublinguals.

I've been taking a b12/folic acid combo -- off and on -- but pretty low dose (500mic/400mic) -- and only for the last month or two. I had stopped it for several months. And can't remember what or if I was taking any 2 years ago.

UKME: I've been taking 1 or 2 SAM-e's a day, wich contain methionine...but I would think that would use up b12, but not sure...?

thanks for your replies. :)