• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

high b12/folates without supplementation

I was hoping someone here might have experienced something similar to me. I am a 24 year old female. I asked my doctor to test my B vitamin levels and homocysteine because I thought I might have a B12 deficiency (due to symptoms like zero energy). my levels came back as
serum B12 1314pg (ref 200-1100pg)
serum folates 20.4ng (ref >5.4ng)
homocysteine 7.4umol (ref <10.4umol)

I don’t supplement with B vitamins, so why are my levels so high? And having such high levels, why isn’t my homocysteine lower? I couldn’t get the doc to run a methylmalonic acid test, and I am going to get tested for genetic mutations via 23andme ASAP.
do these numbers look suspicious to you, or am I being a hypochondriac? I am wondering if I should try to get tested for holotranscobalamin to see if my body is actually using the B Vitamins it purports to have.

caledonia

The high B levels indicates that you're getting B's in your diet, but they're floating around in your blood stream unused.

23andme is good to get. Or Yasko if you can afford it.

I would actually get the HDRI/Vitamin Diagnostics Methylation Panel over the other tests you were thinking about. This is a functional test of your methylation cycle. I found that to be the one test that shows just how screwed up I am. You can get the test through Ben Lynch if your doc won't order it: http://www.seekinghealth.com/methylation-pathway-panel-vitamin-diagnostics.html

If things are screwed up, that would be a good indication that you should do a methylation protocol. You could choose any of the various protocols to try, or customize your own based on your SNPs.

Once you're on a methylation protocol, every three months or so, you can run the HDRI panel again to see if your methylation cycle is improving.

You should read all of Rich Vank's papers or at least watch his video: http://phoenixrising.me/treating-cf...e-mecfs-glutathione-and-the-methylation-cycle