Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

High 1-Methylhistadine, 3-Methylhistadine levels.

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by jack blogs, Feb 28, 2017.

1. jack blogs

jack blogs

What does it mean?

some other levels are rediculously high also
    I attached my full amino acids test

gut issues?

Attached Files:

2. jack blogs

jack blogs

@Valentijn Hope you dont mind me tagging.

I saw a post of yours from years ago commenting about some high 1-methylhistadine levels and wondered if my results made any sense?

Ive also got very high levels of Beta-Alanine, Anserine, Carnosine (2-3x over the top of the range)

3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

No idea, sorry.

4. J.G

J.G

Fluge and Mella (2016) found high 3-Methylhistadine levels in male MECFS patients. It is associated with protein catabolism / muscle breakdown. The resulting amino acids are likely fed into the Krebs cycle to compensate for inhibited glycolysis, so they think.

dannybex and merylg like this.
  5. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    These things are all related so not surprising that they are all elevated together.

They are all present in muscles or are products of muscle catabolism.

Do you have high meat consumption?

Valentijn likes this.
  6. jack blogs

jack blogs

No. Even less than now, at the time.

7. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    As far as I know 1 and 3 methylhistidine are the products of muscle breakdown - either your own or ingested muscle meat. I don't think they have been identified as products of bacterial overgrowth.

Beta alanine could be the product of bacterial overgrowth which could in turn be interfering with the breakdown of carnosine and anserine.

Alternatively all three could be elevated because of poor digestion

or because of poor renal reabsorption (they use the same transporter). Taurine also uses this transporter and I note that yours is highish - also creatinine is highish yet urine volume is high. This suggests possibly less than ideal kidney function that could be worth following up on.

Functional B6 deficiency could pay a part since it is necessary for beta alanine breakdown.

The only single explanation I can come up with is high meat consumption but you say no, so several different things must be going on.

Emootje, jack blogs and Valentijn like this.
  8. jack blogs

jack blogs

What are tests I should do to check kidneys and renal reabsoption

Also, is aldosterone or anti-duiretic hormone related to this area? I had both those things tested as I wondered if they could be linked to the frequent urination.

Aldosterone 198 p/mol upright. This converts to around 7 ng/dl

ADH 2.1 pmol/L (1-20)
    Osmolality - 307 mosmol/kg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  9. jack blogs

jack blogs

Just realised my amino acid blood test showed Taurine to be over range also :|

See more popular forum discussions.