1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hidden Toxins in Your Home 3/16/13 Bottom Line pubs

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by ggingues, Apr 8, 2013.

  1. ggingues

    ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

    Messages:
    4,091
    Likes:
    912
    Concord, NH
    Poisonous chemicals and dangerous fungi may be lurking right under your nose.

    If you don’t think that toxins are lurking, undetected and invisible in your home, this fact will make you sit up and take notice. The air inside our homes may be anywhere from two to 100 times more polluted than the air just beyond our front doors, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. How could this be? It turns out that the air we breathe in our homes may contain contaminants, fungi or chemical by-products that can harm our health.

    It is easy to feel overwhelmed when reading about all of these dangers, but the good news is that by taking simple steps you can stay ahead of the game in terms of protecting yourself and your family…
    THE THREAT: MOLD

    Especially in the wake of Superstorm Sandy on the East Coast, information about mold contamination has been making headlines. This may come as no surprise to you: It is estimated that about half of all US homes are contaminated with mold. Mold (and its cousin, mildew) are fungi, and their spores are everywhere, both indoors and out. But mold needs moisture to grow, which is why it thrives wherever there is moisture in your home—in large areas, such as damp basements, or even in small piles of damp clothing.

    If you’re exposed long enough—mainly through inhaling mold spores—you may become allergic, experiencing a chronic runny nose, red eyes, itchy skin rashes, sneezing and asthma. Some types of mold produce secondary compounds called that can even cause pneumonia or trigger autoimmune illness such as arthritis.

    What you may not know: Moisture control must begin promptly—you have about 24 to 48 hours to completely dry out wet areas or dampness before mold starts to grow. This time frame c

    an help you cope with small areas of moisture and reduce your exposure to mold.

    Examples: It’s important to quickly dry wet clothes left in a gym bag or in a washer or dryer…damp windowsills…and spills in the refrigerator. You can reduce or eliminate mildew in your bathroom by running the exhaust fan for a half-hour after showering—and leaving a window open if possible. When cleaning pillows and duvets, make sure to wash and dry them according to manufacturers’ instructions—otherwise the filler may retain moisture, encouraging mold growth.

    To remove small areas of mold (it can be black, brown, green, yellow or white and may have an acrid smell), scrub them with a mixture of one-eighth cup of laundry detergent, a cup of bleach and a gallon of water.

    Mold on a wall often is a sign that mold is also within the wall, so you’ll need to consult a professional about removal, especially if the area is larger than 10 square feet.

    THE THREAT: WATER

    cont'd

    http://www.bottomlinepublications.com/content/article/home-a-family/hidden-toxins-in-your-home

    GG
     
    golden likes this.
  2. ggingues

    ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

    Messages:
    4,091
    Likes:
    912
    Concord, NH
    Not sure how accurate/good the clean up of mold info is, sure someone will step and offer further/better info than this article. On the whole, seemed ok.

    GG
     
  3. golden

    golden Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,831
    Likes:
    1,072
    Clear Light
    i have mold because i cant afford to heat my house.

    it was on super scrimpers the other night to use bleach on it - but, it WARNED to use a face mask as its ver toxic fumes.

    Me though would need a chemical free way until that happy day when I can clean it away.

    Therr is then specialist undercoat paint with lime to keep it away i am told .
     

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page