Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hidden herpes virus may play key role in multiple sclerosis, other brain disorders

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Ecoclimber, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Hidden herpes virus may play key role in multiple sclerosis, other brain disorders

Provided by: University of Rochester Medical Center

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
    Webdog, ahmo, Tammy and 11 others like this.
  2. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

Very interesting!

On the same topic, I read some months ago this article about persistent Chlamydia infection favoured by herpesvirus:

"Here, we demonstrate that co-infection with human herpes virus 6 (HHV6) interferes with the developmental cycle of C. trachomatis and induces persistence. Induction of chlamydial persistence by HHV6 is independent of productive virus infection, but requires the interaction and uptake of the virus by the host cell. On the other hand, viral uptake is strongly promoted under co-infection conditions. Host cell glutathione reductase activity was suppressed by HHV6 causing NADPH accumulation, decreased formation of reduced glutathione and increased oxidative stress. Prevention of oxidative stress restored infectivity of Chlamydia after HHV6-induced persistence. We show that co-infection with Herpes simplex virus 1 or human Cytomegalovirus also induces chlamydial persistence by a similar mechanism suggesting that Chlamydia -human herpes virus co-infections are evolutionary shaped interactions with a thus far unrecognized broad significance."

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0047427

And this one concerning HSV1 and C.Pneumoniae in Alzheimer Disease:

. Our data indicate that both C. pneumoniae and HSV1 can modulate expression of genes associated with AD, and thus could contribute to AD pathology, however these two pathogens likely act via different pathways. Furthermore, for several genes, co-infection with both C. pneumoniae and HSV1 appears to exacerbate the changes in gene expression seen with HSV1 alone.

http://digitalcommons.pcom.edu/posters/5/

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Webdog, MEMum, leela and 2 others like this.
  3. Janice Hargreaves

Janice Hargreaves

UK
    Also there was this very interesting review paper https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5371890/pdf/pathogens-06-00002.pdf
    Herpes viruses is the topic and lots of supporting background stuff.
    It seems to me that the attempt to keep closing down the discussion/investigation into the possible effect of herpes viruses because they are ubiquitous is starting to look a little foolish? What am I missing?
    I do worry those men in suits with the black maria may now find me and dissappear me?! but it's worth it!

Webdog, Tammy, MEMum and 2 others like this.
  4. JohnCB

JohnCB MEow

England
    So our favourite psychiatrists are saying that ME may be triggered by a virus but insist that it cannot be perpetuated by a virus but must be perpetuated by psychiatric means. Meanwhile proper biomedical researchers are saying that a particular virus HHV6 does not trigger MS, a comparable neurological illness, but that the illness is being perpetuated by HHV6.

Webdog and MEMum like this.
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Mollaretts meningitis is a chronic reoccurring infection from herpes 2 or varicella virus and probably other infections.

merylg and MEMum like this.

See more popular forum discussions.