The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

HHV-6A Found in 22% of ME/CFS Patients' PBMCs, but in Only 4% of Healthy Controls'

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Hip, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Hip

Hip Senior Member

In 2012, the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses classified HHV-6A and HHV-6B as separate viruses (prior to that they were considered subtypes of HHV-6). Ref: 1

However, even though HHV-6A is a distinct and separate virus, since nearly all HHV-6 tests cannot distinguish between HHV-6A and HHV-6B, and since HHV-6 is found in nearly everybody (so nearly all HHV-6 tests are going to come back positive for having the virus), by standard labs tests, it is hard to know whether you might have HHV-6A or not.

According to the HHV-6 Foundation, testing laboratories that can detect HHV-6A include:

• Viracor-IBT Laboratories — HHV-6 Quantitative Real-time PCR

• Focus Diagnostics

• Wisconsin Viral Research, who have now become Coppe Labs.

HHV-6A seems to be a significant virus for ME/CFS:

One study of 36 ME/CFS patients and 24 healthy controls found HHV-6A in the peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) of 22% of ME/CFS patients, but only in 4% of healthy controls.

This study of 13 ME/CFS patients and 13 healthy controls found HHV-6A in the PBMCs of 31% of patients, HHV-6B in the PBMCs of 23% of patients, and no HHV-6A nor HHV-6B found in the PBMCs of healthy controls.

However, although the above studies found little to no HHV-6A or HHV-6B in the PBMCs of healthy controls, somewhat confusingly, this study of healthy individuals found HHV-6A in 16% of subjects' PBMCs, and HHV-6B in 98% of subjects' PBMCs.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

One additional point:

Almost all of us will have picked up HHV-6B by the age of 2. This means that HHV-6B is very unlikely to be a triggering virus for ME/CFS. This is because most people come down with ME/CFS later in life, in their teens, 20s, 30s and 40s typically, long after we have caught HHV-6B as an infant.

By contrast, HHV-6A when caught is picked up later in life. So this means that HHV-6A might be a candidate for a triggering virus of ME/CFS. By a triggering virus, we mean a virus that gives you an acute infection, soon after which you come down with ME/CFS.

Of course, even though HHV-6B is already in most of us by the age of 2, it could still play a causal role in the development of ME/CFS; however, because we already have in our body from the age of 2, HHV-6B cannot be a triggering virus of ME/CFS.

So this makes HHV-6A more interesting from the ME/CFS perspective: because it is found in much higher prevalence in the PBMCs of ME/CFS patients; and because as it is caught later in life, it might be triggering ME/CFS.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior Member

Canada
    I know that Dr. Peterson is able to identify a subset of his ME patients (around 20%) who really just have a very active HHV6A infections. This group tends to have dramatic clinical improvements. However he checks blood, CSF, and tissue for confirmation.

merylg likes this.
  4. Deltrus

Deltrus Senior Member

I really wish we had better testing and drugs for this. I really want to try this avenue of attack for my moderate CFS. My dad had bell's palsy and I had very light bell's palsy symptoms. He's not my genetic dad but I was with him since I was a baby. I get hives with light exercise/heat. Might be HHV.

Will that super fast virus testing thing be helpful here? Anyone have any updates on that?

This one: http://www.cortjohnson.org/forums/t...-test-to-find-all-known-viruses-at-once.3060/

5. Dan_USAAZ

Dan_USAAZ

Phoenix, AZ
    @Hip, would you happen to know if the HHV-6A tests would still be accurate if the patient was currently being treated with Valcyte?

6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Don't really know. I imagine it may make it harder to detect HHV-6A.

See more popular forum discussions.