1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

hhv 6 - Take my poll please!!!

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by davidfibdou, Feb 24, 2014.

?

Treating HHV 6: Does the literature recommend...

1. Taking Valtrex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Taking Valcyte

100.0%
  3. Taking Transfer factor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Another approach: please post below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. davidfibdou

davidfibdou

what does the medical literature say about treating titers for hhv 6 that is is 1:1280

Please take the this poll thanks!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    I've never seen where anything but valcyte was effective with hhv6. As long as you get regular blood tests it should be safe. My titer was the same as yours and I have been on vacyte for a year. Titer now down to 1:320 but kind of stuck there.

3. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Valtrex won't do much for HHV6. IMO, it's a waste of time and money for an active HHV6 infection. It might help keep HHV6 suppressed once it's no longer active.

You could try directing your doctor to the Treatments section at the HHV6 Foundation website.
    Note that Valtrex is nowhere on the list for treatments for HHV6.

Your doc, like many others, may be afraid of Valcyte because of it's potential toxicity. Careful monitoring can help you avoid neutropenia and liver damage, but your doc needs to know what s/he is doing. Maybe finding a doc who understands the med would be your best solution.

heapsreal likes this.
  4. davidfibdou

davidfibdou

SOC you're right on point with your advice. In addition to Valcyte is there any non perscription remedy for HHV6 you recommended?

5. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Daughter and I have had some luck with a transfer factor product from ProHealth. I would take Valcyte rather than transfer factor any time, but when my HHV6 titres are climbing and I can't get Valcyte (like now, when Express Scripts is causing delays and other problems), I will use the transfer factor on the "better than nothing" theory. The product is pricey and I'm pissed off at ProHealth at the moment, so I suggest this with reservations.

If you have NK cell dysfunction, it might help to take OTC supplements like AHCC or inosine.

HHV6 is a nasty critter. If you can't get your current doc to treat it with appropriate meds, I'd vote for finding a doctor who will. You do NOT want to let it spread further.

Alea Ishikawa likes this.
  6. davidfibdou

davidfibdou

thanks for the info SOC. anyone know any doctors in NYC or near the area that are Valcyte friendly?

7. mstrlucky74

mstrlucky74

My titers are 1:1380 is that enough to say its active?

8. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Depends on who you talk to. Ignorant doctors will say any high IgM is just a sign of a past infection. Doctors knowledgeable about immune dysfunction in ME/CFS would probably say a titre that high along with appropriate symptoms is suggestive of an active infection and would treat. There's no established absolute number to say whether the infection is active or inactive.

9. mstrlucky74

mstrlucky74

I think it's IGG not IGM but I'll check , thanks

See more popular forum discussions.