May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

HHV-6 may reach brain through nose

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by kaffiend, Aug 19, 2011.

1. kaffiend

kaffiend Senior Member

California
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Wow kaffiend - we are getting there ! Certainly ties up with my own "infections" in the early days, and why full dose neurontin (as epilepsy) aided at an awful stage. Many thanks for posting.

It also explains sore "lumps" in the nose which did not break the surface - ie on nerves/endings. Also brief appearance of a chest rash. Also HHV6 causes demyelisation - hence "high spots" in brain MRI ? This does all seem a likely explanation for problems met and great when it matches "experiences".

3. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

My questions would be:

1.) Does chronic sinusitis and/or nose polyps contribute to a higher probability of HHV-6 infection of the brain through the nose?

2.) If the virus goes into the brain, could it be, that current tests don't pick up the infection?

4. kaffiend

kaffiend Senior Member

California
    In infectious onset ME, I would think EBV or HHV-6 infected lymphocytes access the brainstem/hypothalamus by passing through a permeable blood brain barrier. I don't know of any good evidence for this, but that's my working hypothesis.

The HHV-6 foundation website is a good place for more information.

http://www.hhv-6foundation.org/conditions-associated-with-hhv-6

5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Your working hypothesis sounds very good and likely to me - neurological (brain) problems were severe and I note on other threads the brain stem (dorsal) dysfunction is involved. At the time I was unable to lie on the back of my head for severe pain there. Thanks for your most interesting information kaffiend.The Jamie D-J Blog speaks of the brain areas likely affected. Must admit I've my own working theory re ME/CFS - the difference being the extent of damage (initial ?) only - basically the same thing.

6. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

i have always had severe cognitive problems, neck cramping, and my brain, neck and whole face area always feels swollen. the earlier MRI's all said that it looked like i had "significant sinusitis"

7. Alesh

Alesh Senior Member

Czech Republic, EU
  8. Nielk

Nielk

This amoeba eating away at human brain with entry through the nasal passage sounds like science fiction.
    It's amazing.

9. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I was at a talk by Dr Enlander this week and he had a slide from a post mortem biopsy of a patient of his. This person has tragically committed suicide. There was a slide of his brain. An astrocyte was infected with HHV6 from the temporal lobe.

10. Nielk

Nielk

Did Enlander say if it's possible to test for this? Like a brain scan, spect or other means?

11. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Sorry Nielk,

someone asked him about other patients but he explained that these were from an autopsy and he wasn't taking tests from other live patients. I don't know how easy this would be even if the patient was having other surgery and a biopsy could be taken at the same time. Dr

Enlander didn't speak about any less invasive tests to show the same things.

12. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH

See more popular forum discussions.