1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Lipkin Microbiome Crowdfunding Campaign Launches!
An ambitious $1.27m international, patient-led fundraising campaign storms into action. Sasha invites you to join it!
Discuss the article on the Forums.

HGRVs - Constructive general discussion - for exploring HGRV research

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Bob, Oct 25, 2011.

1. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Brisbane, Aust
    Secondary virus/trigger may have caused outbreak - caused amplification of retrovirus.
  2. currer

currer Senior Member

3. redo

redo Senior Member

The only treatments I know of for those are medicines masking the symptoms, or downregulating the immune dysfuction rather than going to the cause. I really do think (emphasis on think) that the cause for both of them are endogenous retroviruses.

Excellent question Daffodil. The cluster ourbreaks seen are explained with several factors. One being viruses and other triggers such as RustyJ mentioned, and the other cofactor being genetic predisposition working together. Vaccine, EBV, giardia, severe stress - all of those are examples which can bring about the latent endogenous RV. I have actually problems explaining how a exogenous retrovirus fits into the theory. Several questions comes to mind, one being how could a exogenous virus be triggered in such large numbers by immune suppressing events such as those mentioned (the only way would be if a exogenous RV lies latent in the body). The other question is how is it transmitted. And why are there so many more who's got it in Western countries than in Asia? The asians get it when they come to the west. My answer is that it's endogenous, and that the reason why we get it in the Western world and not in such a large extent in other places is that for the endogenous RV to get high prevalence, one needs triggers, but one also needs a change in the gut flora which shifts the immune system the wrong way, lending a hand to viruses wanting to establish themselves. Read more here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?14251-Gut-Bacteria-Lend-a-Molecular-Hand-to-Viruses
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Very interesting thoughts here - thanks everyone.
  5. redo

redo Senior Member

The HERV-W insanity virus article even goes on to give a very credible expenation as to why the monoclonal antibody Tysabri works on MS patients (which it does).

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi, new information has come to light that might revive the controversy, although I have not checked the background of the details yet so cannot be sure of its full import. I cannot say more as it is not public yet, but I expect it to go public within a day. Stand by. Bye, Alex
  7. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Standing by, Alex ;)
  8. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Is it from Dr. Cheney Alex?

Changing status of XMRV / HGRV research

December 5th, 2011, published in Public Relations

http://www.cheneyclinic.com/changing-status-of-xmrv-hgrv-research-2/843
  9. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Was the following info reported at the time of the Ottawa conference, or since the conference? (I don't remember reading it before):

And I thought that Hemispherx had now given up on their XMRV research, and were focusing on their genetic studies? Why would this be the case if they were getting positive XMRV results?

Questions! Questions! Questions!
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hi Shannah, yes, the same, its just gone public too on co-cure. Thanks for the link though. Bye, Alex

ps Yes Bob, so many questions. Is it the same virus? While mouse contamination can be ruled out apparently, XMRV itself is an easily spread contaminant - but its still very tantalizing.
  11. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

redo..CFS is not more prevalent in western countries. japan has the highest incidence.

if its endogenous, why would clusters of people be similarly genetically predisposed?

dr. suhadolnik at temple university used to take a drop of CFS blood and drop it into some healthy blood...he would watch the disease spread to the healthy blood. i have spoken to him myself several times.

i was really hoping lipkin would come up with a new virus...now that roche thinks its xmrv, and i am on the drugs that supposedly inhibit the virus and i am still gravely ill, what will i do now? ughhh
  12. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    its a family of xenotropic and polytopic retroviruses, no virus has one strain....this is only the start of the Human Gamma retrovirus story.

start planning what your going to do when there is treatment.

Lipkin will soon be starting his studys.

lots more to come.
  13. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Does anyone have any more info about the Hemispherx news?
  14. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

villagelife...thank you for an upbeat, hopeful message:) the day to day is so hard..its like an eternity when you feel so bad
  15. Bob

Bob

England, UK
  16. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

Yeah and its been reported that years and years ago they injected CFS patient blood from one of the outbreaks into monkeys and they got CFS. So clearly there is some transmissible agent here. They just need to find it. Of course right now it seems people are more interested in trashing each other in the media and suing each other than helping us sick people.
    RL_sparky and leela like this.
  17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hi acer2000, yes it goes back to 1955 where here in Australia monkeys were injected with blood from ME patients and they got ME characteristic brain damage as a result. Bye, Alex
  18. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

why dont they just come out and say that we should just drop dead, instead of pretending to care, pretending to study our problems. all i see are articles, articles and more articles...and NO ACTION. i am SO FUKING SICK OF IT.
  19. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    And you have more reason than most to be SFSOI - we're all rooting for you, lets hope something positive comes out soon to give you and us all some hope.
  20. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Euthanasia By Stealth

I have had a blog on the todo list for a long time. Its about euthanasia by stealth, which seems to be the policy for ME.

Take a whole lot of really sick people who they can't treat. Thats expensive, and its damning for the medical profession, and potentially damning for politicians. It means medical bills, social support, and demand for research dollars.

Instead take a policy of non-research, and no research funds. Deny medical support and testing. Deny insurance. Deny social benefits. People this sick are likely to die without any support, and dead people are not visible problems and don't demand resources.

So instead of facing the issue, getting the research done, they have opted for clandestine euthanasia, putting as many of us as possible into a position where we die or are too sick and unsupported to cause problems. Problem solved, cash saved, but the real issues are just swept under the rug. In time the dust pile under that rug will be so big everyone is going to trip on it. When they pull back the rug and see a century of dust under it, I think questions will be asked.

Bye
    Alex

ps This is not to say there is a conspiracy to do this, its about the policy having this effect, whether intended or not.
    RL_sparky and leela like this.

See more popular forum discussions.