1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

HERV env antibody treatment for MS: phase IIa trial completed

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Nov 24, 2013.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
  2. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
  3. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Could someone please explain why it is okay to consider retroviral causation for MS but totally taboo for ME?
    Hmm?

Overstressed and vli like this.
  4. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

hi leela. what makes you say it is taboo for ME? HIV medicines have helped a lot of people with ME. Dr DeMeirleir and Dr. Lombardi recently published a paper suggesting that HERV env protein is the cause of CFS.

about GeNeuro's MS drug:

"So far, 10 patients have been dosed with the agent, he said. Single doses at 2 or 6 mg/kg have been administered to five patients each.

In the low-dose group, four showed no change in MRI lesions 4 weeks after dosing compared with baseline, with one patient showing a decrease. One patient with primary progressive MS had a "decrease of inflammation," Curtin said.

Only four patients in the high-dose group had their 4-week MRI scans when Curtin finalized his presentation, with all four showing stable lesions.

A total of 16 adverse events were noted in the 10 patients, ranging from neurological symptoms such as tremor and limb spasticity to bradycardia, tachycardia, and bladder infection.

Patients in the trial are now receiving additional doses and the firm expects to have final 6-month results from the study in September."

5. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Oh, Daff, I was just referring to the historic hysterics regarding research in this area. For a while there it was a career death-knell to even mention it. Many of those trialling antiretrovirals in the wake of XMRV were vilified for doing so.
    That's all I meant.

I was indeed pleased to see the HERV reactivation paper.

Bob and Daffodil like this.
  6. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting, natasa. It's a 'phase 2' trial so it's early days, but one to keep an eye one.

7. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3765820/

cigana, leela and Sushi like this.
  8. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

even though I think this was just a low dose safety trial, I heard that one patient's MRI improved. no side effects.

phase 2b planned to start in first half of 2014...maybe already started

I am referring to monoclonal antibody trial

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    natasa778 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.