1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hereditary Cerebral Small Vessel Disease

Discussion in 'Neurological/Neuro-sensory' started by merylg, Nov 26, 2012.

1. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
    The cause of this has been found to be a mutation in the High Temperature Requirement-1 (HTRA1) gene. In the aberrant process, mutant HTRA1s have been shown to lose their protease activity leading to an increase in TGF-Beta family signalling.

TGF-Beta family signalling defects are associated with scoliosis & alopecia.

TGF-Beta family signalling defects are also associated with Marfan's/Loey Dietz Syndrome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22277429

Angiotensin 1 Receptor Antagonist...a potential therapeutic...(already in use I believe)

Wondering how many with ME/CFS have a family history of vascular dementia? This could be part of the picture.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21301034

Hmmm...also thought to be associated with degenerative disc disease...

GracieJ likes this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hmmm, interesting. One of my brothers has vascular dementia.

3. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
    My father had this history too.

4. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    My mother has vascular dementia and I have scoliosis, degenerative disc problems and alopecia. My brain scan after one of my stroke-type episodes showed lesions in the right basal ganglia.

I am not looking forward to the future then. :ill:

See more popular forum discussions.