Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hemispherx Enters into Agreement for Early Access Program for Ampligen in Europe

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by CFS_for_19_years, Aug 10, 2015.

1. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    http://www.hemispherx.net/content/investor/default.asp?goto=833

2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

If I remember right, the results for this drug were unimpressive - or am I mistaken?

3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    You are mistaken I think. Some people in double blinds 20+ years ago had great results.

This is great news. I'd kill for ampligen in th US

maryb and justy like this.
  4. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Ha, Ha I'd think that would defeat your long term prognosis.

As in normal cases for ME/CFS a subset were responders and some were not. Without clear cut biomarkers it is hard to determine who would be a responder. This is why Fluge and Mella are being so careful in their Phase II trial.

MEMum, beaker, Lou and 1 other person like this.
  5. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

6. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    What the hell does this mean? Are they giving it away? Trials?

Valentijn likes this.
  7. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    I know as much as you do:

8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    This is the issue Responders tend to be helped a lot. Non-responders were not, hence the description. Nobody knew, then at least, who would wind up in each group.

Currently we do not know for sure who the responders and non-responders will be in Rituximab either, but the response rate and effect size are high.

justy, rosie26, Nielk and 1 other person like this.
  9. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I do not find Ampligen or rintatolimod listed in a search on the myTomorrows site.
    https://mytomorrows.com/
    It is possible they haven't yet updated the site to reflect an agreement with Hemispherix.

I would like to know more details about the rumored significant Ampligen price hike for US patients.

10. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

I don't know anything about Ampligen. Is there an article/blog post that quickly summarises the results of previous trials?

Is it currently used in any countries (USA etc)?

11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Ampligen has been a hot topic for use for decades. Its an old old drug that has never been approved, but many patients go into something like temporary near remission while on it. Its a game changer for responders. Its also not cheap. I am not aware of any succinct accurate discussions of it. Its complicated and messy, and spans decades.

Battery Muncher likes this.
  12. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Nothing I've seen that quickly summarizes it. As Alex points out, it has a long and storied past. The recent AHRQ treatment review looked at two trials and had this to say:

I believe some patients in the US are still receiving this drug, out of pocket at great expense.

Battery Muncher likes this.
  13. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Is rintatolimod actually ampligen or a different drug?
    First time i have heard of rintat.

minkeygirl likes this.
  14. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Yes that's the drug name, Ampligen is the trade name.

minkeygirl and heapsreal like this.
  15. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
  16. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    I know it's literally been a lifesaver for Mary Schweitzer just as one example, but here's a report from a few who were in the original trial who weren't too happy with both Ampligen and how the trial was conducted:

http://www.ncf-net.org/forum/ampligeninPink.htm

http://www.ncf-net.org/forum/fall-vol12-3-2.htm

Given Hemispherx's checkered past, I wouldn't be surprised if the doubling in price here is linked to the lowered cost in Europe.

Battery Muncher, JPV and Sushi like this.
  17. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

Most Dutch people would be somewhat shocked at the thought of paying for prescription drugs, even cheap ones. So I'm guessing it'll be free in either event, either covered by the manufacturer, insurance, or the government.

justy likes this.
  18. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Definitely mistaken, this drug got some very severe ME people out of their wheelchairs and able to walk again. There was an outcry as some ME people fought to stay on this drug when the drug trials ended , some experienced the horror of declining right back to their previous very severe states without this drug. (I think if Im recalling correctly, one lost her ability to even talk again after they stopped the trial and the drug).

This is one of two drugs I'd really like to be able to try which I feel has some hope of maybe even curing me due to what I've read on it and those it helped.

This news if it goes ahead where some ME/CFS people can access it is huge.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    dannybex likes this.
  19. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

not sure how this differs from the canadian program of emergency drug release, under which ampligen has been available since 1996. no doctor will prescribe it though, so its impossible to get.

Justin30 and ukxmrv like this.
  20. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    There is far better stories written on patient 0 which tells of her amazing improvement with this drug.. for those wondering about those it can help.. here's one quick story.

"
    Patient Zero
    In early 1990, this reporter interviewed Ampligen "Patient Zero," Nancy Kaiser, who described her life before Ampligen. Kaiser first became ill from what would turn out to be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the late 1970s. From being a very athletic person who played golf four times a week and went swimming every morning, Kaiser was transformed into some who could not even walk the golf course because of a painful, burning sensation in her feet and legs. She also developed a strange constellation of symptoms: a rash on her eyelids, impaired vision, disturbed thought processes, chronic bladder and yeast infections, and chronic pelvic pain.

"Various doctors told me I was going through an early menopause, I was upset because my children were growing up, I had an unhappy marriage," Kaiser recalls. "None of it was true. I was sick."

After years of unsatisfactory and unhelpful medical treatments (including an unnecessary hysterectomy), Kaiser finally found Dr. Daniel Peterson, one of the physicians who had identified the first outbreak of CFS in Incline Village, Nevada, in 1984.

"Dr. Peterson told me, 'You're not crazy. You're very, very sick.' He was the first doctor who didn't think I had a psychiatric illness," Kaiser now says.

Peterson, with the help of Senator Pete Domenici, lobbied the FDA to release Ampligen to treat Kaiser under a compassionate care plea. In 1988, FDA granted the request, and HEM Pharmaceuticals (the precursor to Hemispherx) supplied Kaiser with Ampligen at no charge for several years.

While waiting for the FDA to act, Kaiser became deathly ill. By the time Ampligen was available to her, she was having 12-15 seizures every day. She couldn't walk; "I had to crawl," she says. Kaiser couldn't even feed herself when she finally traveled to Incline Village to be treated with Ampligen by Peterson.

"Three months after the first treatment, I could go home to my husband. I have had no infections at all since I started getting Ampligen," Kaiser said in 1990. "I never had any serious side effects -- just slight chills and occasional nausea while getting the drug [intravenously]."

Kaiser's astonishing response to Ampligen convinced the FDA to allow Peterson to conduct the first, 15-person clinical trial of Ampligen in CFS patients. Kaiser herself credits the drug with saving her life. "
    http://wwcoco.com/cfids/ampligen2.html

ahmo, jimells and Battery Muncher like this.

See more popular forum discussions.