1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hemex ISAC Hypercoagulation Profile?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Ema, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I was looking to try to do this after reading that Heparin might also be good for the migraines I've been having again in full force...plus it should be a heck of a lot cheaper than the supplement lumbrokinase I've been using for coagulation issues. But it seems like I should test first...

So is this Hemex panel still the one? It looks like it's been bought out by Esoterix, which is a Labcorp company, but Labcorp says that they haven't run the ISAC panel since 2005.

Does anyone know if one of these tests is the replacement now?

http://www.hemex.com/prodserv/test_menu/index.asp

Or do I just order these individual tests through the regular Labcorp menu now?

Is anyone using sublingual or subQ heparin shots currently?

Thanks!

Immune System Activation of Coagulation (ISAC) Panel

Fibrinogen

180-310 mg/dl

Prothrombin Fragment 1+2

0.4-1.1 nM F1+2

Thrombin/Antithrombin Complexes

1.0-4.1 ug/l

Soluble Fibrin Monomer

0-17 mg/L

Platelet Activation by Flow:

CD62P

0-27 %

CD62P + ADP

39-80%

Platelet Activation Index

Normal
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @Ema

Your link doesn't work for me (I looked again and it think you pasted it in twice). I had the Hemex test and tried a followup with Quest doing the individual tests but it wasn't nearly as good--just gave positive or negative, not where I was in a range.

Esoterix still lists the test: http://www.hemex.com/prodserv/test_menu/phoenix/
    ISAC Panel (Fibrinogen Activity, Prothrombin Fragment 1+2, Thrombin/Antithrombin Complex, PA by Flow)

I did take low molecular weight, subcut heparin injections twice a day for 7 months, and it was a big help.

Sushi
  3. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Thanks, @Sushi. It does look like I pasted the link in twice so I've fixed that.

I don't know why they would say that they've not done the panel since 2005 since it's still listed. I guess I will find out when I go for the draw!

Did you bruise badly from the injections? Did you ever consider doing them sublingually? Why did you stop? Do you think the serrapeptase works as well?

Do you know the difference between regular and low molecular weight? I think the regular dose starts at 5000 units twice a day but the low molecular weight seems to come in mgs? Do you remember your dose by any chance?

Does it have to be preservative free?

So many questions but worth it if it will kill babs and save me $60/month on lumbrokinase...
  4. Sushi

Albuquerque
    @Ema

I don't know the answers to most of the questions. My doctor at that time was in contact with Dr. David Berg and was following his advice as to how to treat me.

I had tiny bruises (stomach) from each injection but it didn't bother me. I don't think that there was a sublingual option at that time. I stopped because that was the protocol--some months on heparin and then switch to nattokinase. I think Berg has changed some of his recommendations since. I still take natto.

I don't remember my dose (years ago) and don't know the difference between low molecular weight and regular. Could your doctor get in touch with David Berg? Sorry I don't remember more.

Sushi
  5. Symptomatic

Symptomatic Senior Member

Late to the party as usual...my doc is going to be ordering this test for me as well (if/when I see the exact test ordered, I'll let you know). Will be very interested to get my results, and hopefully to see yours as well.
  6. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    My results weren't all that exciting. They actually didn't show much, if any, hypercoagulation. But I had also been taking lumbrokinase for years prior so that may have influenced the results. I did stop it for about a month prior.

I trailed low dose heparin as a sub for the expensive lumbrokinase but found it made me dizzy. Everything is making me dizzy right now though so I will try it again in the future once I get my OI issues under better control again.

I don't know what the optimal numbers are for the panel but I can post mine if you want to compare.
  7. Symptomatic

Yup, this is the one on my lab orders. I got my blood drawn today, so we'll see.

@Sushi - what exactly did you feel the heparin helped with?
    @Ema - I'll PM you once I have my results.

Did either of you have issues with insurance covering the test?
  8. Symptomatic

I also looked back at some old data. I had a lupus anticoagulation panel run way back in 2003:

PT: < 10 (range: 11-14.5)
    PTT-LA: 42 (range: 0-52)
    APTT: 27.6 (range 31-39)
    APTT 1:1 NP: 29.2 (range 31-39)
    Dilute Russells’s viper venom: 38.4 (range 0-45)
    Thrombin time: 16.3 sec (range <18)
    Heaxagonal Phase Phospholipids: <1.0 sec (range 0 – 8)

I'm thinking the faster PT and aPTT times indicate hypercoagulation? 2003 was a long time ago, so who knows what the condition of my blood is today.
  9. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Since "sticky blood" doesn't carry oxygen and nutrients to the cells very well, that is one possibility. I don't know enough science to go further than that. :cool:

I had very comprehensive private insurance at the time (Hemex was independent at the time) and it was covered. Now that Labcorp owns it, I don't know what the insurance situation is.

Best,
    Sushi

See more popular forum discussions.