1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Help with raising funds for Prof. Lipkin's study

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by vli, Sep 11, 2013.

?

How much are you willing to give to a fund set up to help Prof Ian Lipkin with his pathogen study?

1. $10 one-off

8.8%
  2. $20 one-off

11.8%
  3. Over $20

58.8%
  4. $10 or $20 a month or some such arrangement

20.6%
  1. vli

vli

CA
    hi all, I have no experience AT ALL in advocacy or fundraising and am only posting this because of how strongly I feel we should try to help Dr Lipkin, after hearing his imploring three times in this short call for patients to pressure our govt for funding. Prof Lipkin stated clearly that he is keen to focus on the area of microbiome and study fecal samples but that it is laborious and expensive, and that he only has 10% of the money needed. I would be so grateful if anyone who knows a thing or two about fundraising and is interested in this could help me find out (a), how we can find out how much Prof Lipkin needs--is it simply a matter of emailing and asking him?, and (b), how one goes about setting up such a fund at all--what kinds of numbers can we expect? As I said I have absolutely no experience of this. I thought a PR poll would be a good starting point. vli
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    good idea, maybe we can keep this thread for fundraising ideas.
    can PR have a trust fund or something like that, that can be specifically for lipkins research.
    is there a way we can donate online to this type of fund??
    maryb likes this.
  3. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    thanks for directing me here vli!
  4. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    yes because donating online is easy. kinda need a section that lists promising programmes of research. what they are doing and how to donate to them. sorry my language is so short cut now.
  5. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Can phoenix rising have a trust fund for holding money raised by donations given by all us?? What about a $10000 goal and see how many of these we can get. Im sure it wouldn't be hard to get 10k from all the members here. We just need something with a click to donate button. Good to have a tally board so we can see where we are at??

Any more opinions or someone to help put our ideas into action here??

Cheers
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'd be willing to donate. But would like to know what would happen if the full amount needed wasn't met.
    Sean likes this.
  7. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    I wonder if he can use to to partially do studies. Break them down into importance etc and pic them off one by one.
    If not then money could go to open medicine or peterson with a good portion to phoenix rising? ?
    Maybe a list from him and there costs and away we going picking them off one by one.

Cheers
  8. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    Just a quick suggestion: do you think Dr. Lipkin could apply for this NIH grant?:

Gut-Microbiome-Brain Interactions and Mental Health (R21/R33)

This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) encourages research grant applications from institutions/organizations to investigate mechanisms by which the gut microbiome modulates the development and function of brain circuits that subserve behavioral functions of direct relevance to the mission of the NIMH. Because initial colonization of the gut by microbiota occurs early in life and may influence the subsequent development and modifiability of the central nervous system, developmental studies are of particular interest. Applicants may propose to use wild-type, gnotobiotic, or specific pathogen-free model organisms and/or human cohorts. With this FOA, the NIMH encourages investigator teams to initiate hypothesis-driven research in this cross-cutting research area and to identify promising mechanistic leads for future basic and translational research that will advance the mission of the NIMH.

Application due date: October 10, 2013,

It's worth looking into.
    aimossy likes this.
  9. readyforlife

readyforlife Senior Member

If I donate money it would only be for Dr. Lipkin for microbiome work. We need to stay focused on one thing at a time. I feel Dr. Lipkin is the man to make the BIG discovery.
    aimossy and vli like this.
  10. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    Here's another interesting thing to consider:

Prof. John Cryan, from the University College Cork in Ireland, just received a whooping 27 million Euro grant to study the microbiome's gut-brain connection. He did previous studies that proved how altering the microbiota of mice would radically alter their levels of stress. http://publish.ucc.ie/researchprofiles/C003/jcryan

I wonder if Dr. Lipkin would considering partnering or collaborating with Dr. Cryan on the ME/CFS link with the microbiome.

Here's an interview with Prof. John Cryan about his research and other recent discoveries about the microbiome:

aimossy likes this.
  11. bel canto

bel canto Senior Member

The funds donated by members could be given to Lipkin regardless of whether we meet a specified $ amount. The benefit is that he would get an amount that he could attribute directly to a patient led group rather than just a lot of small donations from individuals. I think this is a great idea!

Funds that are contributed can be designated for a specific purpose - such as a
    microbiome project.
    vli and heapsreal like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'd like to think Dr. Mady Hornig, his collaborator (a psychiatrist), would know about something like this.
    Bob and Antares in NYC like this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I wonder would the CFI set up a restricted fund for Lipkin research that people could donate to?
  14. vli

vli

CA
    Yes this is EXACTLY what I've been banging on abt over at Sasha's conference call thread.
    jenbooks, aimossy and heapsreal like this.
  15. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
    Does Kickstarter do nonprofit campaigns or just forprofit? Something like that might work and then you have another platform worry about the financial transactions, etc.
  16. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'm looking at the site but I don't think it fits (but not 100% sure).

If it could be done through a registered non-profit like the CFI, there would be lots of online sites I would imagine one could donate through (I'm more familiar with the UK where there are sites like http://www.justgiving.com and recall seeing something similar in the US).
    SOC and vli like this.
  17. Sparrowhawk

West Coast USA
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, but the Chronic Fatigue Initiative is a US non-profit:
    http://cfinitiative.org/about-the-initiative/

jenbooks, Sparrowhawk and vli like this.
  19. Sparrowhawk

West Coast USA
    Yes, that's right, so that should work for US donations to a US nonprofit. I just wasn't sure in that case how donations from international sources might work -- like if you don't have a US credit card. I don't know if they do paypal.
    aimossy likes this.
  20. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't have a US credit card but have quite often spent money on US sites.
    vli, aimossy and Sparrowhawk like this.

See more popular forum discussions.