• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with Methylation results?

Sorry I'm a newbie here with this stuff, but am wondering what this means. I have Lyme Disease and have been on treatment for three months and am wondering if there is anything I can do with this information to help me further:

MTHFR Mutations
You have 1 heterozygous (yellow) mutation(s). These are generally not as bad as red homozygous mutation, but they may still worth paying attention to. They include:
MTHFR A1298C is involved in converting 5-methylfolate (5MTHF) to tetrahydrofolate (THF). Unlike MTHFR C677T, the A1298C mutation does not lead to elevated homocysteine levels. This reaction helps generate BH4. BH4 is important in the detoxification of ammonia. The gene is compromised about 70% in MTHFR A1298C (+/+) individuals, and about 30% in people with a heterozygous (+/-) mutations.
BH4 acts as a rate limiting factor for the production of neurotransmitters and catecholamines including serotonin, melatonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. A MTHFR A1298C + status may cause a decrease in any of these neurotransmitters or catecholamines. It’s also a cofactor in the production of nitric oxide. If your BH4 cycle is not working effectively, you may experience mental/emotional and/or physical symptoms. Mercury, lead, and aluminum may act as a drain on BH4.
Also:
Here are your homozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):

MAO-A R297R
Here are your heterozygous mutations as indicated in your SNP gene table above (not including MTHFR):
COMT V158M
COMT H62H
VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
MTRR A66G
MTRR A664A
CBS C699T
CBS A360A

Lotus97

Rich and Dr. Nathan seemed to disagree on whether Lyme should be treated before doing methylation (although the article was from 2011 so Dr. Nathan might have changed his mind), but Rich thought methylation might be helpful for people with Lyme according what people have told me. Rich was actually going to speak at a Lyme conference about methylation which was held a few months after his passing. I think Dr. Nathan spoke on his behalf. In that thread I also posted a paper that Rich delivered at a Lyme conference in 2009. There's also some cautionary information about methylation. People with viral or bacterial infections could experience an increase in inflammation from methylation. Of course the Herxheimer reaction from antibiotics will also increase inflammation so there needs to be a balance with both treatments.