1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Help with Folate

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Googsta, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Googsta

Googsta Doing Well

Australia
    I'd really appreciate if someone could suggest a good source of active folate.

I want to give high dose vitamin B a try, I haven't had any Methylation Panels & to be honest I struggle to get my head around it all :p.
    I take Jarrows Multi 1-3 (it's what I can afford) but it has Folic Acid, is that ok for the time being? i.e can I just take folate as well?

2. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, Googsta.

I believe that Thorne Research 5-MTHF is supplied in Australia from a company based in New Zealand.

You could try spacing the 5-MTHF two hours apart from the multi. Then they won't compete for absorption from the gut to the blood. There will still be competition for transport from the blood into the cells, but enough 5-MTHF will probably be able to get in. If not, you could raise its dosage.

Best regards,

Rich

3. Googsta

Googsta Doing Well

Australia
    Awesome, thanks Rich :)

4. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Russell Island, Australia
    Go http://www.iherb.com/ Googsta. Anything bought inside Australia or New Zealand will cost twice as much and the shipping won't be much or any better either. It's also likely the length of time it takes for them to deliver won't be much better.

So there's absolutely no benefit in buying international brands locally.

In fact, I wouldn't even buy our local practitioner only brands. None of them even provide a full list of ingredients and excipients on the packaging.

5. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Unmetabolized folic acid is a potential problem. If you are at all able to avoid taking it, that would probably be a good thing. Thorne Research has this product called Methyl-Guard Plus. If you take just one capsule a day, it will give you quite a bit of what you need to keep methylation going at a price that I don't think breaks the bank.

6. Googsta

Googsta Doing Well

Australia
    Thanks, I totally agree, everyone is getting ripped off/sucked in to the hype.

Love iHerb ;)

Thanks Nano, will definately give it a try.

See more popular forum discussions.