• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with Cortisol Saliva Test Results

I've been struggling with numerous symptoms over the last couple of months and had blood tests to determine my thyroid status, which showed high levels of antibodies, so seems like autoimmune thyroiditis. I've now had my adrenal stress profile results back from Genova as I wanted to check my adrenal status so I can have a better idea of what to do to help my thyroid and the results are (hopefully) shown here. My interpretation is that although the cortisol is in the "normal" range (am so sick of hearing that when I feel so crappy most of the time) the DHEA readings are a bit low but would really appreciate some input/advice from those who are more experienced at looking at these results

Attachments

• cortisol.jpg
    cortisol.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 39

drob31

Your numbers should be allot higher, especially the morning sample. It should be at the top of the range, the next two should be in the upper 1/3 of the range. The thing about cortisol saliva tests, in my opinion, is that one isn't enough. According to Dr Datis Kharrazian, you need 3 tests to get more of a baseline. One test may have some anomalies.

Have you tried any of the following:

Pregnenolone
Progesterone
DHEA
7-KETO DHEA
Methylation
NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine)

Many thanks drob. I'm right at the beginning of my discovery so the thyroid bloods and this cortisol test are the first that I've had done. I'm due to see the endocrinologist in a week's time, but am not hopeful of getting any proper help from the NHS, plus after my bad experiences in trying to get diagnosed with CFS 13 years ago, I've long since realised that the only way I'm going to get better is to take matters into my own hands. As for what I'm taking so far:
B12 and B complex
Nutri Adrenal Extra (2 x a day) (since discovering low body temp)
Vitamin C (2000mg/day)
Switched to liquid B12 a week ago with ridiculously good results

I didn't want to start any "proper" adrenal support until I knew for sure there may be a problem and got some numbers on it and thought if I started too many things at once and felt better, I wouldn't know what had done the trick:| Fighting my natural compulsion to "fix" myself by throwing everything at it simultaneously was a very hard urge to suppress so any guidance on the next thing to add to the regime would be gratefully received.

drob31

High TPO antibodies along with your symptoms would be suggestive of hashimoto's. This may be an open/shut case for an endo, although autoimmune is complex. HPA-axis issues compound the issue further, of course. Personally I think a depressed thyroid can cause the HPA-axis (adrenal) issues without having a real HPA-axis issue, but rather via low levels of t3. (which would have an impact on the immune system as well)

Selenium is extremely important for the thyroid, especially when hashimoto's is involved. From what I've read, 200 mcg is a good starting place.

Iodine is a tricky subject, it helps some, and harms others. You could try getting more in your diet, or getting a urine iodine spot test to see if the levels are really low. Iodine can be problematic, but from what I read, it's a problem when levels of selenium are low.

Some people with Hashimoto's feel better with thyroid hormone, and some worse. Some need t4, and some t3, and some armor thyroid, etc.

The interesting thing here is how some people treat autoimmune conditions. They use cortef or prednisone in some cases. This would theoretically calm the immune system while boosting levels of cortisol. Although that's another tricky topic.\

I should also mention that some have success boosting adrenal hormones by taking pregnenolone.

The one thing I have gathered over the last six weeks or so is that the whole thing is tricky and everything really has to be done one step at a time and nice and slowly to aim for a sustainable recovery and optimal result. I'm pleased with progress so far (even if I would like it to be quicker) but I do realise that it probably took a lot of years to arrive at this poor state and will therefore take some time to put it all right again. If it weren't for forums like this, I'd be in a much worse state and probably still wondering what was going on so am very grateful for the help and advice I receive. I think pregnenolone may well be the next step. There seems to be a consensus that if the adrenals aren't quite right, thyroid medication may well be not as effective and that the TSH ideally needs to be well suppressed to minimise the effect of the Hashimoto's.

There are certainly a lot of balls to juggle with this one so thank you again for your help and advice - it's much appreciated.

Ema

Hi hunny59! Welcome...

I agree with @drob31...your adrenal test is a little low but you still have a circadian rhythm so that is great! I would garner that your adrenal problems will resolve as you address your thyroid issues.

In the meanwhile, I think I would consider trying some licorice in the morning to extend your cortisol (if your don't have high blood pressure) or continue on with the glandular if you like that.

I also think DHEA is a good idea to support that level.

Selenium is a good idea with Hashi's. I would be pretty wary of iodine myself.

Thanks @Ema - everything I've found so far has been just on the low end rather than catastrophically broken (thank goodness) so I'm very grateful that the circadian rhythm hasn't been disrupted as yet and I'm hopeful that I can make forward progress without anything else sliding (although I am a realist and know that the occasional slip is going to happen)

I had been looking at licorice (I don't have high blood pressure) but just wasn't entirely sure where it would fit in so will give it a try. I started on NDT a couple of weeks ago, but just wasn't sure which of the adrenal or thyroid issues was the chicken and which was the egg ;) I'm using brazil nuts as my source of selenium as I'm already feeling that I'm rattling in the mornings from the supplements. Thanks for the advice :)

What brand is the liquid B12?
BetterYou. I saw the brand recommended by someone on another forum and thought I'd try it. I had horribly painful bursitis in my hip and I stopped limping within 10 minutes of spraying. I thought I was imagining things to be honest but it's continued to improve to the extent that my physio was rather stunned at the difference earlier this week. The rest of my muscles have also relaxed enough that I'm not in constant discomfort too.