• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with B vitamins and insomnia please

Ocean

I generally have insomnia or a wired reaction from most any supplement that lists it as even a mild possibility. This is even in small doses taken early in the morning.

I want to add B vitamins to my regimen since I'm taking B6 and I think I read that if you take a B vitamin you need to take all of them or else the levels of the others will get low.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a B complex or try to buy each B vitamin separately. I normally do not take combined supplements because I react to so many that I like to only add one new thing at a time. Do the B vitamins all have similar effects as each other or does it make sense for me to add one at a time to check for side effects like insomnia and other things (if that's even possible I don't know if stores sell them separately)? I also like to tailor my doses since I usually take less than one serving and that would be easier to do for each vitamin if I took each separately.

taniaaust1

If you know anyone who lives near you.. maybe someone would be willing to just send u just 2-3 pills of B complex to trial rather then wasting money to buy some you may find you cant take.

I find trial and error to be the best way to go when it comes to vitamin supplements.. as its just too hard to know if someone will or wont react to these as we are all too individual in that area. (B vitamins thou is something I havent had much issues to compared with other things).

there are also different forms of the individual B vitamins so that further complicates things eg if you buy something separately. it may be in a different form to what it is in whichever complex you buy. Individual pills may also have different fillers, binders (to hold pill form together) and all the other stuff which goes into pills to whichever complex you end up trying...

Bs can cause insomina.. this issue may be solved by when you take them.. eg then always take these in the morning.
Sometimes someone may find they get wired by one..but the same vitamin in another form may not cause the feeling wired feel so you may need to try different ones. (this is where having some friends send you a few of theirs may come in handy to trial different ones).

Ema

I wonder if you could try a liquid B complex and start with tiny dropper doses to give yourself a chance to acclimate?

I used to take Max Stress B and liked it pretty well. It does contain folic acid though and that may be a concern with methylation.

I do think it is a good idea to take all the Bs together and not get too high on one in particular by taking it to the exclusion of the others.

I hope you find something that works for you!

Ocean

Thanks Ema I may just try a complex at a low dose and see how I do first. It definitely would be easier than getting each one separately. Maybe I'll try that first and if I have problems with it, then I can try adding one in at a time instead. Maybe I'll skip the folic acid for now though. I don't understand methylation issues, I have to look into all that soon.