• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with activity pacing

CreativeB

Hi

I'm looking for some advice and suggestions to help me manage my symptoms. I'm trying to figure out my energy envelope and how to pace my activities.

I've been reading a lot of the information but I'm struggling ... or maybe I'm just impatient. I'd say my symptoms are mild to moderate. I work full time. I work from home one day a week but find that whether it's that day or the weekend I relax when at home and crash.

I've started to keep a detailed journal to see if I can identify patterns or triggers.

More than anything I feel overwhelmed and don't know where to start.

rel8ted

Take a LOT of 10-15 minute breaks. I can get showered and dressed, but then need to lay down to rest a bit. My whole day is basically like that. Do very little, lay down a bit. If I let myself go and push past that, I have a really bad next day or 2 (can be more if I way overdo it). I might be able to prep dinner in stages and the hub cooks it when he gets home. The crockpot has become our best friend. Cleaning the house is basically a one room at a time affair. If i get one a day done, great, otherwise it just has to wait. It seems ridiculous at first, but I know I function much better if I listen to my body and stop at the first sign of being tired.

CreativeB

Thanks Rel8ted

When I'm at home I do more ... I need to rest after the shower and before I get dressed. I guess at work it's easy to just keep pushing. But I have found I'll grab a chair and sit down with students, but breaks aren't always possible :eek:

*GG*

Perhaps you don't need the attachment provided since you already do a diary?

Attachments

• Pacing Diary worksheet 001.jpg
    Pacing Diary worksheet 001.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 44

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
My suggestion would be to get one of those wrist monitors if you can. Like a fitbit for example (I have a Garmin)

You then can know in a more direct and specific way when your heart rate goes high or how many steps you've taken in a day.
That way there is some feedback as to when to stop an activity or even how to even out your day so you don't do too much at once.

Although I don't know your status the monitor thing may work better the more ill you are.

Mel9

Thank you Snowdrop. I had been considering one but hadnt thought about using it in that way.

I used it to teach myself when I have done too much. I now know the threshold and try to keep my heart rate lower.

Another useful measurement for me is temperature (under the tongue). When I have overdone things it becomes very low.

Last edited:

Plum

My suggestion would be to get one of those wrist monitors if you can. Like a fitbit for example (I have a Garmin)

You then can know in a more direct and specific way when your heart rate goes high or how many steps you've taken in a day.
That way there is some feedback as to when to stop an activity or even how to even out your day so you don't do too much at once.

Although I don't know your status the monitor thing may work better the more ill you are.

This for me was the BIGGEST help. I have a Garmin too. It's taught me to be more energy efficient i.e. don't waste steps if I can, and it helps on days I'm not aware I'm worse and then my elevated heart rate makes me realise I need to take it easier.

The biggest difference it made was that I cut right back on activity and found a way to do what was absolutely necessary with the fewest number of steps and then the only other things I did was properly rest. This allowed be to get rid of some of my symptoms like severe muscle pain. Now I know that the pain isn't just an uncontrollable part of my ME that I have to deal with but rather a symptom I can improve by not doing too much.

CedarHome

I use a heart rate variability monitor.

It takes a few minutes lying still each morning to get a daily reading.
It is oriented toward athletes-- the report is either "Okay for training" or "recommend low intensity workout day" ;)

I've found that it gives me a heads up on especially low capacity and energy BEFORE I notice them. It's a leading indicator. It drops a couple days before I get sick and it jumps a couple days before I feel better.

When the level is in the tank I know to do as little as possible--- and to cancel all nonessential work obligations.
We are so adept at "pushing through" when we should not!

It does take quite a while monitoring before the patterns emerge though.

I have an Apple Watch and found out that my heart rate zooms up when I take a shower (highest 210) and when I fall asleep. I don't know what it means, but I am seeing a cardiologist to see if I should worry.