• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

help wanted finding quotes, please!

Yogi

I'm working on something at the moment, and can remember, way back, reading something here in the UK, possibly on an old NICE page, or possibly on an old advice sheet to GPs not to carry out too many tests on patients with ME because it enhances their false illness beliefs. Any ideas?

Here is a thread about PW advising NICE not to recommend aids etc as it will contribute to false illness beliefs.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ice-guidelines-insight-into-their-views.1239/

Also this http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/Quotable_Quotes_Updated.pdf

P.19 1990 Wessely paper - No diagnostic significance
P.25 1997 Sharpe/Chalder/Wessely paper -Iatrogenic harm
P.30 1994 Sharpe/Straus/Fukuda paper- tests not to be done

Double check the quotes with the original

Graham

Senior Moment
Thanks all. I'll have a trawl through your suggestions, and report back.

I am going a way back, late 90s, early 2000s. These days things are phrased more carefully, with expressions like "inappropriate tests" or "an excessive number of tests", but something in my memory (which is as limited as my hairstyle) suggests that there was a more specific guideline along the lines of once a diagnosis of CFS was confirmed, not to carry out more tests. It may even have been in the NICE guidelines.

Are you looking for an authoritative/official document endorsed by the NHS, etc to some extent, versus researchers spouting off in their publications?
Yes, I had something more authoritative in mind: researchers and medical writers spouted off all sorts of vitriol in the 90s: I'm reading some pretty foul stuff!

To be fair, Wessely is considering both sides of the case.
To be honest, when I look at Wessely's statements over the years, they remind me of reading slippery politicians' statements. At the time you are sure that something clear is being said, but looking over it afterwards you become aware of all the let-out clauses. With him, I think it is more relevant to judge his position by looking at the consistent attitude of his followers.

A.B.

To be honest, when I look at Wessely's statements over the years, they remind me of reading slippery politicians' statements. At the time you are sure that something clear is being said, but looking over it afterwards you become aware of all the let-out clauses. With him, I think it is more relevant to judge his position by looking at the consistent attitude of his followers.

One can see what they really believe by their actions. And I only see arse covering and PR talk (now with bio flavor).

Orla

Graham, you might be thinking of the: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Report of a joint working group of the Royal Colleges of Physicians, Psychiatrists, and General Practitioners 1996.

These are some quotes from it:

"Perform the minimum number of investigations." [this is in a section entitled: Table 3: Essential skills/tasks for a multidisciplinary CFS unit. ]

"Unless there are atypical features, limited investigation for alternative diagnoses is appropriate and should be accompanied by assessment of patients’ disability, psychological state and illness beliefs."

Last edited: