1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Help us think up a name for the Lipkin Microbiome Study campaign

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Sasha, Feb 15, 2014.

1. bel canto

bel canto Senior Member

What about Lipkin's MicrobioME Study as a bit shorter version?

I like the "A Million and ME" also, particularly if Lipkin doesn't want his name included. Or "Millions for ME" or some such.
    Sasha likes this.
  2. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

"A Million and ME" it's catchy enough and goes straight to the heart of the study ;)
    Sasha likes this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I thought of 'A Million for ME' but thought it could sound selfish - ooh, all that money for me! Whereas 'A Million and ME' is about so many of us, and all standing together, like the 'ME and You' in Maria's campaign.
    Simon likes this.
  4. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Yes, @Sasha, I got that.

My thought was to semantically and energetically leave space for more :)
    Sasha likes this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I wonder how people in ad agencies manage! I've been thinking about this for days now. o_O
    Firestormm, vli and NK17 like this.
  6. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

Semantics are important for us, so so important ;)
  7. NK17

NK17 Senior Member

I was just thinking about Public Relation and advertising as well, but you preceded me ;).
    Maybe somebody on PR has a background in advertising or pr?!
    We really need to nail this name in order to have some traction outside of the large PWME population too.
    I'd love to have Lipkin's input on the campaign name but understand his time is too precious for this, but maybe he's willing to help ;)
  8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    True - we want something attractive and inspiring, if we can.

We're probably better off having him working away in his lab! :nerd:
    Simon, vli and SOC like this.
  9. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    We need to keep in mind that the big money we want is probably not going to be attracted by "million dollar" or "ME".

Cute advertising names work for small and/or personal projects. Big money scientific projects need power words like "pathogen" and "cure" so that big money donors feel like they're getting something substantial for their money. Big money donors want to feel they're a part of something big and important.

Words like "bug" and "gut", while clever and cute, don't attract the major donors.

Our friends and family will donate regardless of the name. It's the on-the-fence, or people who know nothing about us yet that we need to attract.

Lipkin is a big name and quick to google. His name adds a degree of credibility we haven't had before.

Maybe we need a big powerful name for the primary campaign itself and some small fun names for mini side campaigns focused on smaller audiences...?
    leela, NK17 and vli like this.
  10. Jon_Tradicionali

Jon_Tradicionali Senior Member

Zogor-Ndreaj, Shkodër, Albania
    Why are ALL suggestions which have the disease name included refer to it as ME. Whatever happened to CFS. This site is for CFS/ME.

I've always referred to it as CFS and a large proportion of patients do also, perhaps the majority.

Now choose my suggestion and lets close this thread:

CFSbugsME

Choose it.
  11. vli

vli

CA
    Because "CFS" is SO controversial for reasons that're obvious once one does a quick search on this forum.

It's also the same reason why Jen Brea explicitly stated that she chose NOT to refer to our disease as CFS, in any of her pages or in the media.
    Izola and NK17 like this.
  12. vli

vli

CA
    SOC!!! So long since we've "spoken"! :D

I love EVERY point that you have made. Thanks! It's funny I was thinking what ways in which we could possibly use the name "Lipkin", but it seems there're not many. Nothing that's very inspiring anyhow (not that the man isn't inspiring!!!!)

Sasha drew up a list that had several names with Lipkin in them. I'll find 'em and mull over 'em over the weekend :)
    SOC likes this.
  13. vli

vli

CA
    Oh so I see @Legendrew had "Lipkin's $1 million dollar appeal" which does have "Lipkin" in it (re: SOC's last post) but it doesn't seem to be talked about the threads much? That's one way of having his name. That said I LOVE @Sasha's "Hundred Trillion" except I HOPE people aren't going to subconsciously feel like we're trying to raise a ridiculous amount!

I'm thinking whether to set a deadline for when the name should be set. Is the latest day Wednesday reasonable? Maybe we could put the names on this thread up to a vote (poll) by the end of Monday.
    Simon likes this.
  14. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    No point in being unambitious! :cool:

Sounds good - and just poll on a shortlist of the ones that seem to have got the most favourable attention so far or have clear merit. I'll sort that out on Monday.

Keep 'em coming, guys!
    Simon likes this.
  15. bel canto

bel canto Senior Member

SOC - re: your comment about using a power name for the potential big donors - seems like microbiome is trending significantly these days, as scientists are beginning to pay a lot of attention to it.

It echoes the "genome" projects that most people are aware of, and possibly evokes the idea of a very large and important project. I wonder if any large research projects are using that name.
    Simon, leela and Firestormm like this.
  16. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    'MICROBIOME AND ME'

'ME AND MY MICROBES'

'MICROBIOME MILLION'

'LIPKIN'S PATHOGEN HUNT'

'LIPKIN'S HUNT FOR MICROBES IN ME'

'RAISE A MILLION FOR MICROBIOME HUNT'

'RAISE A MILLION FOR A MILLION'

If not Lipkin then use Columbia.

Obviously need more sleep...
    Sasha likes this.
  17. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

A MILLION DOLLARS FOR LIPKIN

actually, I think I'll change that to:

A MILLION $ FOR LIPKIN

or maybe:

$1,000,000 4 LIPKIN
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  18. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    The million is not for Lipkin, it's for his research or his study. We need donors to understand that. I know... Sigh... Trying to find a short catchy name with all the right info is not easy. It seems like we can be fun and clever or boring and accurate.

Maybe we can shoot for accurate and exciting? "Research" or "study" plays well with big money donors. "Micro biome" as a new buzzword is probably helpful (as @bel canto pointed out).

Would "hunt" add that degree of excitement without taking away from the seriousness?

Has anyone checked with Lipkin to see if it's okay to use his name?

I'm still leery of using "ME" because our generally bad image (unfair as it is) might turn donors off before they look further and ditto for the self-centered implication of "me". We want to attract in the first second, not turn anyone off.

Is Microbiome Pathogen Hunt too boring? Or inaccurate? **sigh**. This sure isn't easy.

What is Lipkin calling the study? Surely he knows how to sell to the money people? Not that it worked for this research... Sigh.
    Sasha likes this.
  19. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Since this microbiome research could end up benefiting other diseases in the long run, what if was something like
    Funding Science, Funding Cures:
    (possibly with a subheading like)
    Columbia's Microbiome Initiatative
    WillowJ, Ruthie24, greebo and 3 others like this.
  20. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

Maybe we could help him cut the costs by providing links to all the studies already done in the areas he has mentioned.

Also, I saw that cfids grants funds for studies for me/cfs.

See more popular forum discussions.