• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help Understanding the Different Ways to Describe Genotype

aaron_c

Hi Yall,

I just looked up Rs662 on 23andme (A PON1 snp) and found that I have the TT genotype according to them, but the AA genotype according to dbSNP. The snpedia page lists my options as either A or G. Other genes on 23andme do not have different genotypes for 23andme and dbSNP.

I understand that in DNA A will always be paired with T and G will always be paired with C, so it makes sense that they are saying the same thing in different languages, as it were, but I don't understand why they are sometimes different and sometimes the same. In particular, it makes it difficult to know what is happening when there are three possible nucleotides (I think I have seen this happen...but perhaps I did not understand what I saw.)

I would appreciate any explanation yall can offer.

Thanks a lot!

halcyon

The base pair notation for an allele will depend on which side of the DNA strand it was sampled from. As you mentioned, T pairs with A and G pairs with C, so A and T would be synonymous. 23andMe says C or T, snpedia says A or G, these are saying the same thing. TT = AA.

@aaron_c - 23andMe always uses the forward alignment.

dbSNP can use either forward or reverse alignment. Near the top of the dbSNP page for a SNP, there is a bit which says "RefSNP Alleles:", then the alleles, and (REV) or (FWD). If it says (REV), then the alleles need to be switched: C=G, and T=A.