Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Help Understanding the Different Ways to Describe Genotype

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by aaron_c, Apr 15, 2015.

1. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

Hi Yall,

I just looked up Rs662 on 23andme (A PON1 snp) and found that I have the TT genotype according to them, but the AA genotype according to dbSNP. The snpedia page lists my options as either A or G. Other genes on 23andme do not have different genotypes for 23andme and dbSNP.

I understand that in DNA A will always be paired with T and G will always be paired with C, so it makes sense that they are saying the same thing in different languages, as it were, but I don't understand why they are sometimes different and sometimes the same. In particular, it makes it difficult to know what is happening when there are three possible nucleotides (I think I have seen this happen...but perhaps I did not understand what I saw.)

I would appreciate any explanation yall can offer.

Thanks a lot!

2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

The base pair notation for an allele will depend on which side of the DNA strand it was sampled from. As you mentioned, T pairs with A and G pairs with C, so A and T would be synonymous. 23andMe says C or T, snpedia says A or G, these are saying the same thing. TT = AA.

Valentijn likes this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

@aaron_c - 23andMe always uses the forward alignment.

dbSNP can use either forward or reverse alignment. Near the top of the dbSNP page for a SNP, there is a bit which says "RefSNP Alleles:", then the alleles, and (REV) or (FWD). If it says (REV), then the alleles need to be switched: C=G, and T=A.

aaron_c and halcyon like this.

See more popular forum discussions.