• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help Please? 23andme results

Hi everyone!

So to make a long story short i am 22 years old and have been sick 9 years. I just recently was diagnosed with late stage lyme disease among co infections so will be beginning treatment for that. I just got my 23andme results back and i'm feeling really overwhelmed. Honestly i expected some gene mutations but i guess i didn't expect this much...I've literally been going through an almost "grieving" process the past few days over this. It doesn't help that my knowledge of going about treatment is limited in this so i was wondering if anyone could offer me some insight.

I was also wondering if there are any sites/literature anywhere that talks about the prevalence of the different kinds of mutations or the combinations (ex: i am compound hetero for MTHFR) how common is this?

Anyway as i said any kind of help would be really appreciated as far as where i should go from here...I'm 22 but feel like my body is slowly shutting down on me and it's just really scary.:(

-Shannon

Here are my results.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 4.38.57 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 4.38.57 PM.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen shot 2013-05-01 at 1.17.55 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-05-01 at 1.17.55 PM.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 4.43.48 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 4.43.48 PM.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 4.43.56 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-04-30 at 4.43.56 PM.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 36

Lotus97

Hi, shannabanana. I also have late stage/chronic Lyme. Have you started methylation yet? I started a thread a few months ago about Lyme and methylation that you might find interesting and you could also post your experience with methylation in that thread
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...glutathione-depletion-rich-vanks-posts.21563/

I've learned a lot about methylation in the past few months, but I'm just now starting to learn about SNPs. Here's an article Yasko posted recently (March 2013) about SNPs and methylation. This chart from the article gives you an idea of which types of B12 will most likely work best for you (although there are several other factors that come into play as dosages go). It's also important what she says in the paragraph below the chart about listening to your body. Yasko, Rich, and Freddd all give guidelines, but you're still going to have to figure out what works best for you
index.php

Thanks for the info, Lotus. I haven't started any methylation but am hoping too, and hoping it will help get my body detoxing etc.

If anyone else can help guide me in the right direction as far as what i should be addressing and when that would be really appreciated!

Lotus97

In regards to methylation, I'd recommend going slowly. Some people have strong reactions to the supplements. And the majority of the people doing methylation will experience an initial worsening of symptoms. Also, be aware of hypokalemia (low potassium) symptoms because those can occur during methylation. Especially with the higher doses.

Lotus97

Watch my video series Methylation Made Easy (link in my signature below) to get the basics.
You should start with addressing SHMT, then CBS if it's expressed.
Ignore the Detoxigenomics SNPs.
How do you address SHMT? And how do you know if CBS is expressed? I just realized that the answer is might be in your videos. I haven't had time to finish watching them yet...but the first one was very well done I'd recommend them to everyone. I'm going to have my parents watch them too. I have them taking B12 now, but I'm going to wait awhile before I have them try methylfolate.

caledonia

SHMT from Heartfixer:

SHMT C1420T: Serine Hydroxymethyltransferase

Our diagrams indicate that the MTHFR "forward reaction" converts THF (obtained from dietary folic acid) in to 5-methyl folate, which is then used by MTR to convert homocysteine in to methionine, in the process regenerating THF. In reality, an intermediate step is involved, catalyzed by SHMT. SHMT converts THF in to 5,10-methylene THF (upper left in the diagram). It is actually 5,10-methylene THF, not THF itself, that is converted in to 5-methyl folate by MTHFR. Some of the 5,10-methylene THF generated from THF by SHMT will take another metabolic pathway, being acted upon by SHMT a second time, whereby 5,10-methylene THF is converted in to 5-formyl folate (also known as folinic acid), which is used as a building block for DNA. We can address a SHMT down regulation by supplementing you with its products, folinic acid, and 5-methyl folate (as without 5,10-methylene THF the MTHFR enzyme has nothing to work with).
=-=-=-=-=
CBS is expressed if ammonia and/or urine sulfate is high. One of the tests Yasko uses has ammonia on it (not sure which one). Nutreval also shows ammonia. But it's expensive to test for, so most people opt for just using the urine sulfate strips which are relatively cheap.
You may also experience a stress/anxiety reaction when you try to take methyl supps, except for teeny tiny doses. For example, I was getting a stress/anxiety reaction from mB12, until I finally lowered it to 0.5mcg. Now that I've done CBS, I'm tolerating 56mcg (my actual tolerance is probably much higher, but it's limited by Zoloft at this time).
=-=-=-==-=-
Here is what Heartfixer says about how to tell if CBS is expressed:
Laboratory findings consist of an elevated urine sulfate level, a low or low normal blood homocysteine level, an elevated or high normal blood ammonia level, and positive findings of ammonia, sulfite, or sulfite upon Asyra testing. My initial observation is that individuals with high heavy metal burdens upon provocative challenge testing are likely to be CBS positive. CBS (+) individuals will be intolerant to sulfur containing drugs, nutritionals, and foodstuffs (I am +/- for CBS A360A and cannot tolerate DMPS or glucosamine sulfate. A cold beer tastes great but I do not like wine, which is high in sulfite).

caledonia
You may also experience a stress/anxiety reaction when you try to take methyl supps, except for teeny tiny doses. For example, I was getting a stress/anxiety reaction from mB12, until I finally lowered it to 0.5mcg. Now that I've done CBS, I'm tolerating 56mcg (my actual tolerance is probably much higher, but it's limited by Zoloft at this time)..

Could you explain what you mean by Zoloft limiting your tolerance?

caledonia

caledonia

Could you explain what you mean by Zoloft limiting your tolerance?

I think I meant that as you crank up methylation, you will increase production of neurotransmitters. Zoloft works on serotonin and possibly other neurotransmitters (actually they don't really know how it works but that's another story). Anyway, there could possibly be a conflict there. I'm gradually tapering off of Zoloft for this reason.

If you do decide to taper off an SSRI, you have to be extremely cautious. Don't taper any faster than 10% of the previous dose every 3-6 weeks. The reason is to avoid a withdrawal syndrome, which is is extremely horrendous. Speaking from hard experience here - I call it my "lost year". Doctors don't know about this and will give you a much faster taper schedule, which is how I got screwed up.

I think I meant that as you crank up methylation, you will increase production of neurotransmitters. Zoloft works on serotonin and possibly other neurotransmitters (actually they don't really know how it works but that's another story). Anyway, there could possibly be a conflict there. I'm gradually tapering off of Zoloft for this reason.

If you do decide to taper off an SSRI, you have to be extremely cautious. Don't taper any faster than 10% of the previous dose every 3-6 weeks. The reason is to avoid a withdrawal syndrome, which is is extremely horrendous. Speaking from hard experience here - I call it my "lost year". Doctors don't know about this and will give you a much faster taper schedule, which is how I got screwed up.
I understand now what you mean. Oh I know all too well about tapering off an SSRI.:ill: Unfortunately I've been on all kinds of antidepressants since I was in the 7th grade. Currently on cymbalta and want to try reducing dose on that as I start to treat my methylation issues. Thanks.

caledonia

I understand now what you mean. Oh I know all too well about tapering off an SSRI.:ill: Unfortunately I've been on all kinds of antidepressants since I was in the 7th grade. Currently on cymbalta and want to try reducing dose on that as I start to treat my methylation issues. Thanks.

You should check out the Paxil Progress forum. There are many people on there who have been "polydrugged" from an early age like yourself. They provide support for people tapering off psych drugs. This is where I got the 10% taper schedule info from.

ps. if you do go on there, don't talk about methylation or anything alternative. This is off topic. They're only interested in getting people tapered off meds.