Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Help me with my dissertation research

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Alexbickler`, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Alexbickler`

Alexbickler`

Hi. I'm doing my dissertation on life living with M.E. Please get in touch if you would like to take part and be an interviewee for my project. I am particularly interested in creative activities that people with M.E. have undertaken and opinions to do with whether M.E. is a modern malady due to the demands of 21st century life. If your interested please message me.

2. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    Can you give us more information on what University you are affiliated with, what department and so on.

justy, Valentijn, WillowJ and 4 others like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

There is little reason to believe it is. The prevalence of CFS in Nigeria is similar to that of western countries (some uncertainty must be acknowledged due to the debate about diagnostic criteria, but there doesn't seem to be a large difference).

The prevalence of chronic fatigue syndrome in Nigeria.
    PS: Brazil also has similar prevalence rates.

4. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I would think most on this forum would agree that the answer to that question is No!

What is your definition of ME? That might make a difference if someone wants to contact you or not.

Barb

I crossed posts with @A.B.

Valentijn, Kati and picante like this.
  5. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

picante likes this.
  6. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

The idea that CFS is a stress problem typically goes along with the idea that it's a problem affecting mostly white people, with an overachiever personality, in western countries . I have responded to that point (and can provide some more relevant material on request). This is also why I use the name CFS - because that is presumably what is being discussed here. Of course Alexbickler could have meant something else, but the post is somewhat vague (what definition of ME/CFS, what does "modern malady due to the demands of 21st century life" even mean, etc).

7. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    So why not let them add some more before making assumptions. It was vague, let's hope he/she can give us some more specifics.

WillowJ and Sherlock like this.
  8. picante

picante Senior Member

Helena, MT USA
    Yes, it's vague. One of the demands of 20th and 21st century life has been coping with an unrelenting onslaught of toxic exposures. Some of those remain to be identified. Another stressor is the proliferation and evolution of a long list of specific viruses. Some of those remain to be identified as well, especially because they mutate quickly into new forms. (And are helped along by bioweapons labs in some cases -- one of them is in Sierra Leone.)

When people mention "stress" in connection with CFS, it's usually what @A.B. is talking about. That is not a claim that can be substantiated, since it's too hard to measure. Physical stressors are somewhat easier to measure, and many of us here know what triggered our CFS.

If the interview questions are well designed, @Alexbickler` could really do some great research. I can't think of a more qualified and educated population for him/her to interview than the one here on PR. Alex, why don't you talk to some of the senior members so they can offer suggestions, once they find out where you're headed with this dissertation?

9. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Due to globalization everyone is exposed to more or less the same viruses, bacteria, mold, pesticides, industrialized foods, plastics, metals etc etc etc and in the developing countries less people have access to doctors and medical treatments, and CFS is not known by doctors who don't speak English. Most drs. I saw thought I should see a psychiatrist, as happens with lots of US patients right here in this board.

FYI most population in South America live in large cities.

picante likes this.
  10. jeff_w

jeff_w Senior Member

I am also working on a dissertation, on my own time, as even part time graduate school is too much of an energy demand right now.

A "modern malady" this is not.

I'm interested in being an interviewee if you can give me three pieces of information:
    1. Which university?
    2. Which department?
    3. Advisor's name?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  11. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    I have asked @Alexbickler` to let us know more about what the research is about. Hopefully, he/she will add more.

Sushi and jeff_w like this.
  12. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    ...and including a .edu email address. Call me cynical ;)

Valentijn, Iquitos and Gondwanaland like this.
  13. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    I think rather than running off researchers with cynicism, it might be prudent to wait for more information. It would be sad to run somebody off the forums due to misunderstanding. We shall see. :):):)

justy and picante like this.
  14. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    I would suggest if they don't answer our questions, we won't participate in their research.

15. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    It is not about 'opinions', it should be about epidemiological evidence. The evidence shows that the risk is there regardless of race, class, nationality, personality etc. There are studies from all continents (apart from Antartctica), showing similar prevalence.

Do you understand the risk of bias of studies based on convenience samples when asking these sorts of questions?

16. Kina

Kina

Sofa, UK
    How do you know that he isn't looking at that ME is not a modern malady. I think we should wait for more answers. I have seen this before. It's not helpful just to make assumptions about research. Perhaps, we should give him time to answer. If he doesn't then we can close the thread and call it a lost cause.

Little Bluestem and justy like this.
  17. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I don't know that. But I do know you won't find a definitive answer by asking for opinions.

Edit:
    There are plenty of worthwhile theses out there, for example the relationship between levels of impairment, financial struggles and quality of life.

The sociological literature is not helped by trying to argue for or against constructs like 'modern malady of the 21st century', or exceptional feats of creativity (see the Pity/heroism dichotomy), but simply listening to the real struggles of patients and how this should drive the delivery of services, medical research etc.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    alkt, Kina, WillowJ and 1 other person like this.
  18. Kati

Kati Patient in training

I am curious to know who is @Alexbickler`'s thesis advisor... :woot:
    21st Century malady. What about the epidemic that took down much of the Royal Free Hospital staff...no one had computers and devices back then and most ate 'normal food', meat, potato and yes, bread :ninja:

justy, catly and taniaaust1 like this.
  19. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I would amend that to: Some Most of those remain to be identified. Many more are identified but we don't understand what they are doing. Even worse with huge numbers of new and unusual chemicals in the environment, combinations of these chemicals may have impacts not seen when studying individual chemicals.

picante likes this.
  20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Good to have Kina reminding us to delay any response, but I have to admit to an audible groan on reading about the planned dissertation. Hard to see how that can be interesting or worthwhile, but maybe I'll be surprised and serious thought has gone in to this.

Kina, Valentijn and catly like this.

See more popular forum discussions.