• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help me/cfs ally Dr Carolyn Bennett appointed as Minister of Health

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Hello friends,

Canadians have given the Liberals a majority government. Prime Minister-elect Justin Trudeau says he will name his ministers on Nov. 4 - now is the time to push to get our ally Dr. Carolyn Bennett appointed as Minister of Health. (Her web: https://carolynbennett.liberal.ca/)

If Dr. Bennett is appointed Minister of Health, she will have the power to influence fair me/cfs biomedical research funding. It is not a guarantee of funding, but Dr. Bennett would be our best bet for quick change.
(The CIHR, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, is under the purview of the Min of Health, but it is the CIHR that allocates research funds - they have allocated zero dollars so far this year for me/cfs research).

Dr. Bennett had me/cfs patients before entering politics, she knows it is a complex biological disease.

Dr. Bennett has advocated for the me/cfs community in the federal parliament as a Member of Parliament:
(http://www.mefmaction.com/index.php...paper-1044-2&catid=68:canadiannews&Itemid=293)

Dr. Bennett collaborated and supported an me/cfs Parliamentary Breakfast as an MP:
(http://www.mefmaction.com/index.php...ary-breakfast&catid=69:networknews&Itemid=287)

Action:
Anyone and everyone can email and/or tweet Prime Minister-elect Justin Trudeau (and copy Dr Bennett and public health journalist Andre Picard) with the simple message:

Appoint Dr. Carolyn Bennett as Minister of Health!
Do Canadian patients a favour and appoint Dr. Carolyn Bennett as Minister of Health.
Thank you!

@JustinTrudeau
justin.trudeau@parl.gc.ca

@carolyn_bennett
carolyn.bennett@parl.gc.ca

@picardonhealth
apicard@globeandmail.com

Thanks!
Scott

L'engle

moogle
Thanks! Great idea.

I added a paragraph about the need for research and about Norway's recent progress.

Last edited:

ScottTriGuy

Are you going to put this on #MEAction, Scott?

I thought about that, but I'm thinking that the most effective emails calling for "Bennett for Min of Health" are those that are not issue-oriented but rather just generally support the idea.

I fear that too many emails that say "Bennett should be Min of Health cause she knows about me/cfs" may be discounted or dismissed as one issue wonders.

I think "Bennett for Min of Health" cause she's a doctor will ultimately have more impact. I could totally be wrong.

ScottTriGuy

Thanks @Kati

How awesome would it be if she was appointed?!?! One step closer to funding research.

The next step would be to work with her to establish an Institute. Finger crossed!

Kati

Patient in training
Thanks @Kati

How awesome would it be if she was appointed?!?! One step closer to funding research.

The next step would be to work with her to establish an Institute. Finger crossed!
I would be very worried about establishing an institute when for the most part CBT still prevails in the mind of physicians herein n Canada. We need science happening. We need international collaboration with Canada involved and participating in multi-center clinical trials.

If left to their own devices, Canada will implement a CBT program and lump fibromyalgia and rebrand them as Central Sensitization Syndrome. this is actually happening in British Columbia.

Kati

Patient in training

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I think getting too excited about Dr Bennett doing great things for ME is premature. She has limited autonomy and doesn't work in isolation.
If her boss doesn't want it to happen she'll tow the party line like any politician.

Kati

Patient in training
I think getting too excited about Dr Bennett doing great things for ME is premature. She has limited autonomy and doesn't work in isolation.
If her boss doesn't want it to happen she'll tow the party line like any politician.
Agreed @Snowdrop. It is not up to us as of whom Trudeau will pick for his caucus and where they will go. Bennett's interest is in aboriginal affairs.

Also when I wrote to a liberal candidate asking whether she would support my cause, she answered back with what was the Liberal platform was in matter of health policy. She said that they would support evidence-based medicine. It will be up to us to prove that what is the best evidence as per Cochrane is fraudulent (PACE trial). Just food for thought. It might not be as easy as we think.

ScottTriGuy

@Snowdrop and @Kati

I have no illusions of an easy unobstructed path to change via Bennett - but I do see a potential path, with many challenges - if it didn't have challenges it would've been done by now.

Just finished watching the Ric Arseneau presentation - my only major objection is his reference to CBT, even if its in the context of use for pacing-type support, he should be cognizant to the history of that term and the harm the practice has caused. That's a major misstep on his part.

Pacing as a skill and group support with peer facilitation would be far more helpful.

Kati

Patient in training
@Snowdrop and @Kati

I have no illusions of an easy unobstructed path to change via Bennett - but I do see a potential path, with many challenges - if it didn't have challenges it would've been done by now.

Just finished watching the Ric Arseneau presentation - my only major objection is his reference to CBT, even if its in the context of use for pacing-type support, he should be cognizant to the history of that term and the harm the practice has caused. That's a major misstep on his part.

Pacing as a skill and group support with peer facilitation would be far more helpful.
If i was a health care professional i'd be totally lost after watching this.

For me, medical treatment first. Diagnosis supported by lab and testing (tilt table test, exercise test if needed and appropriate). Access to drug as needed and requested by patients, including off-label.