• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help Interpreting NutrEval Results

Hi all,

I will be seeing my doctor soon to interpret these results but I am really interested in your input because I feel like I've learned more from this community than doctors themselves.

Quick summary: I experienced an extremely stressful time in my life a few years ago which happened to follow getting really sick in Nicaragua. My digestive issues started getting worse, which seemed to coincide with my increase in stressful situations, to the point where I now have multiple sensitivities and potentially a mast cell disorder. I'm currently on a diet of meat, certain veggies, and certain fruits. That's the shortest version I've got :)

Disclaimer: I realize this is A LOT of information and do not expect people to know everything that this information could mean but I appreciate any input. Also, I realize that I should only take the information on this forum as anecdotal but I do sincerely appreciate the information shared on this forum.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to check this stuff out! I mostly want to make sense of the DHPPA and the BHBA but any further information would be AMAZING!

Results:

Vitamin C - Low
alpha-Lipoic Acid - Low
Riboflavin - Low
Cobalamin - Low
Thiamin - Borderline Low
Niacin - Borderline Low
Pyridoxine - Borderline Low
Folic Acid - Borderline Low
Glutathione - Low
Plant Based Antioxidants - Borderline Low
Need for Probiotics - Borderline, bordering high (25 billion CFU)
Need for Pancreatic Enzymes - High
Mitochondrial Dysfunction - Borderline
Need for Methylation - High

Malabsorption/Dysbiosis Markers
DHPPA - Very high (this I'm not sure how to interpret. Could this point to SIBO? What else could cause this?)
Benzoic Acid - Borderline High

Cellular Energy/Mitochondrial Metabolites
BHBA - Very high (30.5 with reference range <=2.8)
Succinic Acid - Very low
Malic Acid - Borderline High
Adipic Acid - Borderline High

Vitamin Markers
alpha-Ketoisovaleric Acid - Borderline High
alpha-Ketoisocaproic Acid - Borderline High
alpha-Keto-beta-Methylvaleric Acid - Borderline High
Glutaric Acid - Borderline High

Nutritionally Essential Amino Acids
Histidine - Low
Isoleucine - High
Leucine - Borderline High
Lysine - Borderline Low
Methionine - Low
Phenylalanine - Borderline Low
Tryptophan - Low

Nonessential Amino Acids
Alanine - Low
Aspartic Acid - Very High
Glutamic Acid - Borderline Low

Markers for Plasma Representativeness
Asparagine/Aspartate - Low

Intermediary Metabolites
alpha-Aminoadipic Acid - High
alpha-Amino-N-butyric Acid - Very High
Cystathionine - HIgh
Glycine - Low
Ethanolamine - Low
Phosphoserine - Low

Dietary Peptide Related Markers
1-Methylhistidine - High

Omega 3 Fatty Acids
alpha-Linolenic - Very Low
Overall - Normal

Omega 9 Fatty Acids
Overall - Borderline Low

Omega 6 Fatty Acids
gamma-Linolenic - Very Low
Dihomo-gamma-Linolenic - Low
Archidonic - Borderline High
Eicosatienoic - High
Overall - Borderline High

Saturated Fatty Acids
Stearic - High
Arachidic - Low
Behenic - Low
Lignoceric - Borderline Low
Pentadecanoic - Low
Margaric - Borderline Low
Overall - Normal

Delta - 6 Desaturase Activity
Linoleic/DGLA - High

I would input also what kind of digestive issues you have.
Knowledgeable users here can make connections easier this way.

Thanks! At first it started as abdominal pain, which would cause dizziness, then also nausea, diarrhea, bloating/distention, cramping, brain fog when I eat certain things. Gas isn't really an issue, in fact I feel I am less flatulent than I was previously. I went gluten free January 2014, which helped minimally. Had a stint of histamine intolerance, where I'd get irritable, flush, sensitive to temperature changes, itchy, and searing stomach pains. Currently I am on Neuroprotek which is helping my digestion as well as my moods (which is incredible because I've been suffering with a high degree of depression and anxiety that I have never experienced before). I still have bloating/distention, searing pain in the abdomen, brain fog, diarrhea (though this appears to be improving), mood changes, anxiety...

That's the majority of it but there is definitely more that I'm leaving out to keep this from getting too lengthy!

I would put a thread in GUT Forum.
Also did you have the chance to find out whats causing it? IMO is very important otherwise you'll run in circle forever.
I have been in a similar situation for years. Supplements made me feel better but masked the real cause.
My approach now is heal the gut keeping snps mutation in account. I also have huge histamine issue - its really nasty.
If you didnt already - put a thread in the gut forum with a link to your message here.
Good luck

Haven't found exactly what's going on. Back in the summer when my histamine intolerance was really bad I tested positive for candida and was treated for that. I'm currently on Nystatin because my new doc said it would hurt to start while we're waiting for my Genova stool test to get back. I'm just confused that the markers for fungus/yeast on the NutrEval test weren't high, just the DHPPA. And I don't know what that means...

Thanks for the response!

Well, I'm not an expert but a sufferer like you. Still...

As you probably know already candida overgrowth won't come alone. many times has other root cause other imbalances. I started with candida diagnostic and discovered Hpilory and parasites after many many months of treatment and tests.

Also tests have their limits; candida urine and blood tests for me were ok but 3 stool analysis showed overgrowth. which one to trust? I trust the stool tests. Some use NutrEval just as a starting point to test more by stool test for example.

Genova test is ok for bacterial yeast and general status of gut. if youve had parasitic infection also is not the best. BioHealth and Parasitology Center are better.

See also gut forum.