• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help interpreting HLA-Dr Results - Mold.

Ema

Does anyone understand how to interpret the HLA-DR test results from Labcorp?

I'm at a complete loss and don't really know how to even type them in!

Thank you!

Ema

JT1024

Check out these sites.. they are but a few. I have presentations of Dr. Shoemaker's and they really are amazing. If you have certain genetic profiles, you are at a much greater risk of developing chronic illnesses. While 80% of the population will be unaffected, 20% will suffer.

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/scottforsgren/biotoxin pathway.html

http://www.survivingmold.com/about/mold-announcements/2012-08

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/07/22/mold-and-other-chronic-diseases.aspx

LaurieL

I do not have permission from Dr. Shoe to reproduce any of his book, but you will find on page 540, "The Mold Warriors" how to interpret LabCorp's PCR HLA Testing.

JT1024

Found info on Dr. Shoemaker's site: http://www.survivingmold.com/diagnosis/lab-tests

There is a chart (click on the link above) after the paragraphs below that has genotype information.

HLA DR - Your Genes

Human Leukocyte Antigens (HLAs), are found on the surface of nearly every cell in the human body. They help the immune system tell the difference between body tissue and foreign substances.
The immune response genes are found on chromosome six. Patients could have two alleles, copies of genes (for each gene, one allele is inherited from a person's father, and the other is inherited from a person's mother), out of approximately 10 possible, as part of their genotype. Based on Dr. Shoemaker's data, in normal populations compared to international registries of gene frequencies of HLA DR, we know the frequency of mold illness-susceptible patients approximates 24% of the normally distributed population. Almost a quarter of the normal population is genetically susceptible to chronic mold illness. Three quarters isn't.

Ema

Check out these sites.. they are but a few. I have presentations of Dr. Shoemaker's and they really are amazing. If you have certain genetic profiles, you are at a much greater risk of developing chronic illnesses. While 80% of the population will be unaffected, 20% will suffer.

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/scottforsgren/biotoxin pathway.html

http://www.survivingmold.com/about/mold-announcements/2012-08

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/07/22/mold-and-other-chronic-diseases.aspx
*Risk* though, right? Not a definite sure thing?

I mean, you wouldn't treat based on a greater genetic risk of mold, Lyme etc without definitive other testing?

Thanks for the links!

Ema

Ema

I do not have permission from Dr. Shoe to reproduce any of his book, but you will find on page 540, "The Mold Warriors" how to interpret LabCorp's PCR HLA Testing.
LaurieL
I don't have that book unfortunately.

Here are the results, would you be willing to "decode" them?

Thanks!
Ema

Attachments

• HLA DRB Lab Results.pdf
    61.1 KB · Views: 170

Hip

There is a good article on the HLA-DR here:

HLA-DR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article mentions that the genetics of the HLA-DR is complex, and I guess this means these genetics do not easily map onto the SNP variations found in the 23andme.com genotyping results. I was hoping that the 23andme results would determine your mold toxin susceptibility, but I guess this is not the case.

Your 23andme results do tell you if you are susceptible to organophosphate pesticides, though; see this thread:

23andme - question about PON1 gene rs662

Basically, if your rs662 SNP is the TT allele, then your are more susceptible to organophosphate pesticides. The rs662 SNP is within the PON1 gene — a gene which determines how well you detoxify organophosphates.

For those who have taken the 23andme test, to see your rs662 allele on the 23andme website, click here.

Organophosphate exposure would seem to increase your risk of developing ME/CFS by a factor of 4 (ref here). But I imagine that if you have the TT risk allele, organophosphate exposure will present even a higher risk of developing ME/CFS.

Mold toxins and organophosphates appear to be the main environmental toxins linked to triggering ME/CFS. I think these toxins likely precipitate ME/CFS in combination with infectious agents.

GypsyGirl

Not sure if this thread is still alive, but would love input/correction on my HLA lab results (the doc follow up is 2 months away and I'd like to have some idea). Please help? :)

Results:
DRB1*04: UZPN
DRB1*04: UZPY

DRB4*01: FVUU

DQB1*03: UZMD
DQB1*03: UZMH

Not sure if this thread is still alive, but would love input/correction on my HLA lab results (the doc follow up is 2 months away and I'd like to have some idea). Please help? :)

Results:

Basically they give an indication of your immune profile. It's primarily used to determine compatibility between donors, but there are also various risks and benefits associated with each profile.

The codes at the end (UZPN) basically narrow down which version you have somewhat. So you should probably list those too, from the results sheet.

HLA-DRB1 being "04" means you have the "HLA-DR4" serotype.

HLA-DRB4 isn't a major one, so there seems to be less info about it. But http://www.wikigenes.org/e/gene/e/3126.html has some, and if you search for "DRB4*01" you might be able to find more specific info for your phenotype.

With your HLA-DQB1 being "03", you have the serotypes of 2 of HLA-DQ7, HLA-DQ8, and/or HLA-DQ9.

There are also "haplotypes" combining various HLA values, where there might be a stronger indication of disease risk. If you post the translation for the codes, it might be possible to figure out your haplotype, or at least narrow it down quite a bit.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
There is a good article on the HLA-DR here:

HLA-DR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article mentions that the genetics of the HLA-DR is complex, and I guess this means these genetics do not easily map onto the SNP variations found in the 23andme.com genotyping results. I was hoping that the 23andme results would determine your mold toxin susceptibility, but I guess this is not the case.

Your 23andme results do tell you if you are susceptible to organophosphate pesticides, though; see this thread:

23andme - question about PON1 gene rs662

Basically, if your rs662 SNP is the TT allele, then your are more susceptible to organophosphate pesticides. The rs662 SNP is within the PON1 gene — a gene which determines how well you detoxify organophosphates.

For those who have taken the 23andme test, to see your rs662 allele on the 23andme website, click here.

Organophosphate exposure would seem to increase your risk of developing ME/CFS by a factor of 4 (ref here). But I imagine that if you have the TT risk allele, organophosphate exposure will present even a higher risk of developing ME/CFS.

Mold toxins and organophosphates appear to be the main environmental toxins linked to triggering ME/CFS. I think these toxins likely precipitate ME/CFS in combination with infectious agents.

Thanks for that info @Hip
of course I'm TT:(

Thanks for that info @Hip
of course I'm TT:(
Well, 44% of Europeans are TT, so maybe it's more apt to say that people with CC are protected from getting ME/CFS.

And at least you don't have to worry about the risk of acquiring a disease when you've already got it :rofl:

Ema

I'm CC.

At least it should make me feel better when they start spraying the fields around my house in a few days...

GypsyGirl

Basically they give an indication of your immune profile. It's primarily used to determine compatibility between donors, but there are also various risks and benefits associated with each profile.

The codes at the end (UZPN) basically narrow down which version you have somewhat. So you should probably list those too, from the results sheet.

HLA-DRB1 being "04" means you have the "HLA-DR4" serotype.

HLA-DRB4 isn't a major one, so there seems to be less info about it. But http://www.wikigenes.org/e/gene/e/3126.html has some, and if you search for "DRB4*01" you might be able to find more specific info for your phenotype.

With your HLA-DQB1 being "03", you have the serotypes of 2 of HLA-DQ7, HLA-DQ8, and/or HLA-DQ9.

There are also "haplotypes" combining various HLA values, where there might be a stronger indication of disease risk. If you post the translation for the codes, it might be possible to figure out your haplotype, or at least narrow it down quite a bit.

Thank you for responding. :)
The "code translation" given on the test is added in verbatim below:

Results:
UZPN = 04:01/04:111/04:112/04:115/04:119N/04:123

UZPN = 04:04/04:120N/04:121

FVUU: 01:01/01:02/01:03/01:03N/01:04/01:05/01:06/01:07/01:08/02:01N/03:01N

UZMD= 01/03/06/09/12/13/15/19/20/21/22/24/27/28/29/30/31/33/34/35/36/39/42/43/44

UZMH = 02/04/08/32/37

There's a small note stating that "HLA allele interpretation for all loci based on IMGT/HLA database version 3.9".

So. Many. Numbers. Because I hadn't come across any posts where all results were letter codes for super long number sequences, I'm extra confused. Can you make heads or tails of it?

Oh, and side note, I had celiac screening done a while ago and you're correct, I have serotype DQ8.

UZPN = 04:01/04:111/04:112/04:115/04:119N/04:123

UZPN = 04:04/04:120N/04:121

FVUU: 01:01/01:02/01:03/01:03N/01:04/01:05/01:06/01:07/01:08/02:01N/03:01N

UZMD= 01/03/06/09/12/13/15/19/20/21/22/24/27/28/29/30/31/33/34/35/36/39/42/43/44

UZMH = 02/04/08/32/37
So it looks like for both DRB1 you have 04:04:???, which is still HLA-DR4.
DRB4 is 01:01, 01:02, or 01:03
And based on prior serology testing, DQB1 must be 03:02 and/or 03:05 and/or 03:??.

DRB1-DQB1 haplotypes are looked at fairly often in research, and yours would be DR4-DQ8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HLA-DR4#By_haplotype has some info regard that, and there's probably a lot more data elsewhere as well. Basically increased risk of a few things, including celiac - do you have that?

Regarding DRB1 and DRB4, it's possible that you have the DR4-DR53 serotype, though that also depends on having HLA-DRA*01:01 instead of HLA-DRA*01:02, which wasn't tested for at present.

Is there some reason they don't test HLA-DQA1? It seems to be a lot more popular in research than the DRB4.