• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help interpreting hair analysis

kday

I had a hair analysis done. I was wondering if someone can help interpret results.

I initially thought my Arsenic was still high, but I read the wrong line, and it's Barium that is high. Uranium is a bit elevated too, but I am more concerned about the essential elements.

I tested very positive for KPU, and wasn't surprised the see that the results indicate zinc deficiency (high levels in hair correlate with low zinc).

I noticed my copper is elevated too, and I noticed I have many symptoms of copper toxicity (including liver problems, very dark urine at times, and enlarged spleen).

I was thinking about supplementing molybdenum to see how it makes me feel, but I haven't heard people talk about it much here.

And my calcium is way off (supposedly high) and my sodium and potassium are low.

Looks like I have virtually no lithium as well.

qgb9I.png

mellster

Marco
Can't help you with the analysis, but I started supplementing with Molybdenum (half a dose per day) for borderline anemia and it seems to help so far.

kday

I'm feeling pretty hopeful after reading more about molybdenum.

I read peoples reviews and so many say it takes their anxiety away and makes them super relaxed. I can use that.

I have a major problem with my anxiety, and my anxiety is always the best when my urine is dark/brownish and abnormal (yes, you read that right), but it takes an impact on my liver and kidneys (ultrasound indicates enlarged spleen and chronic liver disease). No evidence of hepatitis or other viruses that can cause liver problems.

High dose B12, Folate, P5P, and other methyl donors help a lot. Surprisingly (or not?), hydroxocobalamin injections are helpful at about 20 mg, but after going back and forth, I feel that methylcobalamin sublinguals work a bit better. I recently learned that moderately-high doses of zinc picolinate along with all those other B vitamins helps the anxiety, overstimulation, and occasional head pain even more, but I haven't pushed it as it seems to put more stress on the liver. This is part of the reason why I think I may have copper toxicity or an abundance of unbound copper. And my zinc is so far off.

Zinc is supposed to be 130-200 and I am 560 in the 99.9 percentile! In hair this indicates a low zinc status.

I'm not quite sure what to think about the low sodium and potassium and high calcium. I guess this indicates my electrolytes are off and I am probably suffering from adrenal dysfunction. I also read that high calcium in hair along with low sodium and potassium can indicate hyperparathyroidism (or was it just hyperthyroidism). Can't think right now.

aquariusgirl

look up dr amy yasko's autism one handout.. download... you've got a problem with lithium.. she spent a bunch of time talking about this yesterday.

ETA: i get confused on how to read hair tests, but I think she showed a bunch of HTMs with similar lithium readings yesterday...but it could have been the opposite. they could have been dumping lithium.
anyway, you'll figure it out when you look at her handout.

kday

look up dr amy yasko's autism one handout.. download... you've got a problem with lithium.. she spent a bunch of time talking about this yesterday.

ETA: i get confused on how to read hair tests, but I think she showed a bunch of HTMs with similar lithium readings yesterday...but it could have been the opposite. they could have been dumping lithium.
anyway, you'll figure it out when you look at her handout.

I looked hard for her handout. I am normally good at googling things, but I couldn't seem to find it. :confused:

edit: Coincidentally, I just found the video about a minute after this post: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15022351

edit 2: Wow, seems that Lithium significantly increases the cellular uptake of B12. Very interesting considering I need such large doses (and these large doses help a lot).

kday

I saw a hair analysis on her slides, and you would think I am an autistic child because of the similarities. Fascinating, and thanks for the info.

Vegas

You need to post your results on Yahoo frequent dose chelation forum, if you want to get the best analysis available. These folks talk a lot about ow lithium, I believe this is also commonly associated with high calcium. It's obviously not diagnostic, but there are some well-established associations/patterns that provides clues to what is going on. Here is a link of interest.

http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/HOW_TO_hair_test.html

aquariusgirl

Yeah, Yasko doesn't have a monopoly on this....There's loads of literature on it. If you haven't got enough lithium you're B12 won;'t get transported to where it needs to go. Google it. Lots of info.
Some ppl need medication strength lithium to get their blood lithium into normal ranges. Supplements don't cut it.
One of her patients tried and failed with supps. but doesn't seem like she has found a bad snp that can explain poor lithium transport.
also: she says u dump lithium when you're chelating.....

V. interesting connection v. calcium and lithium vegas. thanks.

I would recommend watching some of those archived u-stream vids from Autism One, esp. neubrander, bradstreet prof deth etc... Those autism folks are light years ahead of us in figuring this out.

I've heard molybdenum is a limiting reagent for one of the detox pathways. If you don't have it onboard, the pathway stops.

It's nice that your lead and mercury are so low.

Joopiter76

Yasko says to take 1/4 per day of the Lithium caps in her shop if lithium is low. I take one every 4th day to make it easier.

Vegas

I've heard molybdenum is a limiting reagent for one of the detox pathways. If you don't have it onboard, the pathway stops.

It's nice that your lead and mercury are so low.

Molybdenum has been mentioned pretty regularly on this forum. It's involved in the sulfation process--the sulfite oxidase enzyme, which oxidizes sulfite to sulfate. It's also a cofactor for aldehyde oxidase, so it is very important for the detoxification of aldehydes, which are a byproduct of yeast. 500 mcg a day doesn't seem to cause any side effects. It's another one of those things that isn't going to make you feel better, but will start the not so fun process of detoxing the body.

Unfortunately low hair levels of mercury and lead doesn't allow one to draw the conclusion that the person has a low body burden of mercury. As Kday mentions this is actually typical for autistic kids who are discovered to have very high levels of these heavy metals after doing di-thiol challenge tests. These mineral hair tests are probably among the most ambiguous medical diagnostics used.