1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Help for Insomnia by cooling your head

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by SpecialK82, Jun 18, 2011.

1. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    This could be exactly what I need, I love putting an icebag on my head when I have a headache, it's so soothing, nows there is evidence that it can help insomnia.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/17/tip-for-insomniacs-cool-your-head-to-fall-asleep/

"The body's circadian clock, which regulates sleep and wakefulness, keeps the body at its warmest during the day and starts to lower body temperature in the evening to help us doze off. For those with insomnia, however, researchers found that the extra brain activity was keeping the brain too hot to sleep.

When Buysse's group gave 12 insomniacs a cap to wear that contained circulating water at cool temperatures, they were able to get them to fall asleep almost as easily as people without sleep disorders."
  2. illsince1977

illsince1977 A shadow of my former self

If I have a headache/migraine at bedtime I often use an icepack while trying to fall asleep. I can't say I've ever noticed it easing my insomnia. Wouldn't it be a wonderfully non-invasive solution if it did! ;) :headache:
  3. Cfswombat

Cfswombat

Rockhampton, QLD Aust
    I use an ice pack under my head and neck to sleep every time I lay down. I cannot settle without it. I freeze my icepaks then wrap them in velour towels to protect my skin. When my ice pak warms up, I wake up. I change them several times a night. I use them in the car to keep my head tempreture down as well. Last time I had surgery, I took them in with me to the hospital, and when the nurse could not get me to settle post operative,(my blood pressure and temp where up and out of control) hubby demanded they get my ice paks and I settled immediately.
    I hardly mention it, because, I think people think I am mad. lol
  4. illsince1977

illsince1977 A shadow of my former self

Well, I'm intrigued and I'm going to try again. I will try to remember to report back here! That is if I can even remember to try this again and remember I wanted to notice whether or not my insomnia is lessened. Just not sure my experience means anything if I'm not willing to forgo my insomnia meds to test it out. Am I trying to deconstruct this too much? I don't think you're mad Cfswombat; I may be though!
  5. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Love the ice packs - always in my freezer they are an essential when going to bed, cool my head down after a few minutes, I immediately start relaxing and I can then go to sleep. Wonder if its the brain inflammation that makes the tissues so warm and this just restores the temperature to the correct one?
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    For most of my history with ME/CFS I have been addicted to having a fan on when I go to bed, even in winter. I rug up and let it blow on my face. I know some of that is white noise, but now I wonder if some of it is also the effect described in this thread. Of more concern I have a relative who is the same, addicted to a fan when sleeping. She is not currently sick, but it does make me wonder. Bye, Alex

See more popular forum discussions.